Should I use a DI box to play thru my computer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Well, I guess the subject line says it all. I recently burnt up a soundcard. I was plugging my bass directly into the Mic input on the card, but had been doing this for months. This is how I practice and do basic recording. But now that I've installed a new card, I'm wondering if I should use a DI box, but don't know if that even matches the impedances for a soundcard like it needs to.

I tried the line input, but couldn't get enough volume to be useabe. I'm using my 18V active Peavey Cirrus bass.

2. You probably blew the card because you should have been patching into the line input, not the mic input. A DI box is a good idea, but for about the same money you can get a small 6 channel mixer which is infintely more versitle for home recording than a DI box.
  3. I've tried running my SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp into the LINE IN on my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

The IOD puts out a maximum of 0.775v at wide open throttle. I find I have to crank the IOD all the way up, and run the sound card recording volume all the way up to get any decent signal. This creates WAV files that don't have much quality.

I'd like to know what is missing so I can do high quality recordings. My intent is recording different strings and pickups as I make changes.
  4. ??I tried the line input, but couldn't get enough volume to be useabe. I'm using my 18V active Peavey Cirrus bass ??

Did you read my initial post?
  5. It might be an impedance mismatch or one of any number of other technical things I don't know anything about. I just know, from experience, that plugging a bass directly into a sound card doesn't work very well. An interface of some kind, whether it be a mixer, preamp or DI box is needed to get satisfactory results.
  6. bgavin,
    that should work, the IOD puts out a line level and the Turtle Beach accepts a line level??? What output are you going out of the IOD?
  7. I thought it should work also.

The IOD puts out 0.775v which is 0 dBu.
    The card input is 0.316v which is -10dBV.

I tried both the XLR balanced out, and the unbalanced TS out from the IOD, as SWR says both put out the same voltage. The next step is to push the IOD through my EQ set to flat, and use the greater than unity gain of the EQ to boost the signal.

Rane also makes a Balance Buddy which is a transformer that converts XLR balanced to consumer electronics (RCA) levels. I suspect there is an impedance issue of some sort... just don't know what it is.