1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I use Neural DSP pluggin or buy a mic to record?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hnarly, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Darkglass Pluggin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Microphone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hnarly

Hnarly

Jan 17, 2019
    Hello!

I am new to the recording side of things so i consider myself a novice when it comes to software and equipment. I was looking at the Darkglass Neural DSP pluggin and thought it would become very useful but wasn't sure if it would be wise to invest in a good microphone to just record my tone and some cheap software.

Here is a brief rundown on my situation. I own a few bass guitars, and I play in a metal band with friends. I would like to have a little at home recording studio in my room using my desktop. My friends are constantly recording and sending me snippits of them playing, and I would like to play over it with my own instrument. I personally already own a Darkglass B7K and a good amp. Not sure if its worth investing the $100 into getting software or just buying a mic and recording through GarageBand (or a similar application). Id also like to video record myself playing, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to invest in a good mic and camera anyways. Any gear/software advice and other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Noah

2. The first thing you need - for recording yourself or even making videos - would be an audio-interface. Then the B7K as a DI should do its job. If you have a decent smartphone, the cameras are so good that you would have to invest at least 500,- into a camera that is noticeable better. What do you want to do with a mic and/or a software plugin if you don't have an audio interface?

3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    If you're new to recording, it makes much more sense to record direct than to use a cheap mic that might not be placed well in an untreated room: both for efficiently and for the quality of the end product.

Even seasoned session musicians like myself don't always record an amp in a professional studio situation.

You can record both an effected signal and a dry signal in parallel with the B7k and a cheap Focusrite interface: that way you can experiment with creating new sounds 100% "in the box" from the dry DI, using plugins like the Neural Darkglass, while still recording a sound that's familiar and pleasing to you.

Cheers!