1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I use this speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sse1990, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    I have one of my 15" DVC subs from when I used to compete at car audio competitions. it is an Orion 15" 2NT DVC. I figured since I just bought a Yorkville XM200TC with the 2-10"s that I would build an external cabinet for it. Here are the pecs on the sub

subspecs.

I would run it at 8ohms. So if I build it according the Orion spec for car audio sealed would be 2 cuft gross and vented would be 2.7 cuft gross.

If I go by the WinISD Pro software, sealed would be 2.172cuft sealed, not sure if that is gross or net, and vented would be 4cuft with 1-4" port at 23" in length. If I add more ports then the length goes up, but is that for each port or the total of all the ports?

Maybe I inputted the speaker specs wrong into WinISD. I know the sub can handle the power from the amp.

I have another cabinet that was given to me that I can steal the handles and casters and rear inputs off of so all I need is the wood. I would be using 3/4" MDF since I am used to using that for car audio construction since I know that plywood for car audio sounds like crap.

If anyone can help, let me know if I am on the right track with this or not. Personally I think I would go sealed. I just want to get more power from the amp if needed, and add a bit of bottom end to the 2-10"s.

When the sub was bought it was probably about 1000$ and I could maybe get about 200$ for it now, so I figured why not use it.

Help anyone? :help: :)

2. Car subwoofers do not an electric bass speaker make!

Paul

3. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    Is it the efficiency of the subs or how they are made that doesn't lend to them being used for bass?

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The sensitivity is so low that you won't even hear the faint rumble it'll add below your 2x10".

Alex

5. Hi.

Listen to Yoda (Paul ;)), he knows what he's talking about.

The reason is partly the sensitivity, a speaker with the sensitivity of 92dB needs A LOT of power to deliver any significant MI SPL.

The main reason however IMHO, is the car sub design feature that relies on small enclosed space to boost the lower frequencies. That's the reason that a great car sub doesn't sound at all magnificent in a home theater, and is virtually silent in a MI application.

If You have the drive and time to make the cab, by any means do it, but if you're expecting it to behave like in a car, you'll be dissapointed.

Regards
    Sam

6. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    AH, so it's the sensitivity/power needed that is screwing me, cool. Well I do have another 15" in a cabinet already. I think I will take it out and see what it is and go that way since it was made for bass from what I was told. Then again it was given to me.

OR find a used 15" cab already done.

One reason I was going to build my own is that i had the sub and I am laid off, so I have more time than I know what to do with, lol.

Thanks for the responses.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Autosound drivers are intended for an audience of five or so in a 100 cubic foot or less 'room'. Pro-sound drivers are intended for an audience of 50 or more in a 10,000 cubic foot or more room. You couldn't find more opposite factors in their design goals.

8. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    That makes sense. That is what I was looking for.

9. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    I just went and looked at the cab I have that was given to me. The speaker has no name on it, it measures 6.4ohm with a DVM, and on the back I found a few numbers, 7311 and 67-8629. I can't find anything by googling those numbers. Also it is in a 4cuft gross cabinet that has a port that is 2 1/4" long and 1 3/4 diameter.

My guess is that it is probably not worth hooking that one up to my amp. So for now I will stick to my amp with the 2-10s in it and go from there till I can find a good deal on a used 15" cabinet.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Check out the rental departments at L&M stores. Rent one of the Yorkville or Traynor 1x15 cabinets for a weekend and try it out as an extension. If you like it, buy it. You'll get it for a used price which will depend on its age and the rental fee will apply against the purchase price. I got two Yorkville 1x15 cabinets like that at a great price and used them for about 10 years. The Yorkville/Traynor cabs are good.