Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i use Wah Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleafan, Aug 29, 2000.

1. I really dig the sound of the wah wah on a guitar but does it sound so good on the bass? and what effect pedal should i get ?

2. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Envelope Filter.........

3. I HEAVILY agree with that statement. Envelope Filters are basicly the same thing except there is no expression pedal to adjust the rate WHILE playing. you set the pedal to how you like it, and then leave it. IMHO its easyer to use then a wah. but if you want to use the wah for solo's and change the rate on you own, then i guess go with the wah.

4. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i use the dunlop crybaby wah that your boy flea uses and highly recommend it. its THE smoothest bass i have ever played on with its awesome "q"dial

Unemploid likes this.
  5. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    I use Cry-Baby and on the treble is good.
    On the bass and middle I must say that I hope there is something better.
    Although the pedal is quite good.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My Morley PWV Wah-Volume seems to let everything come through -- lows and highs.

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    how do you people like the wah on the bfx-708? is it any good? also, muttluk, wouldnt that just be an auto-wah?

p.s. whats the difference of a "dunlop crybaby bass wah" and the "dunlop crybaby bass wah 105q"

[Edited by basslax on 09-17-2000 at 03:06 PM]

8. The CryBaby's are kewl.
    But get an envelope filter if you got some extra dough, like the BassBalls, or Q-Tron+.
    Electro-Harmonix make very nice Envelope Filters.
    Ok Desu Ka.
    Krazy kow

9. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'm a pretty heavy wah user and I use both, envelope filters and "real" wahs. The only thing they have in common is the style of sound, but the stuff they can do are really different. I'd get both. I use normal wah more though since i think it sounds a lot more firm and funky when slapped. For fingerstyle envelope filters are superior (in my opinion that is)

I have the 105q crybaby but I dunno if it's broken or something. It has always sounded somewhat awfully crappy. It's like it would be too powerful the bass sound doesn't come trough it's just like playing with a midi bass attached to a floorcontroller that some dork dances on.. I doesn't actually have that funky sound at all. It's just a really powerful synth-eq kinda thing. I'm pretty sure it's broken.

I tried out morley bass wah too but I ended up getting the morley Pro II wah/volume for guitar and it is the best wah for bass that I've used. I'm looking for a snarling dogs bass whine-o-wah or whatever it was called. The guitar version is pretty damn good.

10. the 105q is more intended for bass than the original cry baby bass.

hmm... why haven't dunlop released a crybaby bass "classic" wah or a 2nd bass wah?