1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I wait? (Comp Content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bardolphus, May 6, 2010.

1. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I had made my mind up to hold off on buying a compression pedal 'til I had the scratch to pick up the Aguilar TLC. The more I read and listen, I'm wondering if the BBE Opto Stomp will make me just as happy of a camper at a fraction of the cost. So, for all you comp-fiends out there, would I be better off with the Aguilar or will the BBE essentially accomplish what a comp needs to without spending all that cash?

I'm not looking for anything to do any crazy stuff. Just general compression. Had tried the MXR Super Comp but it DID NOT cut it. It did however, give me an idea of what compression could do for me and I liked it. The fatter tone and overall more level sound is what I'm liking.

Whatcha think?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What exactly do you want out of the comp and why are you limiting yourself to just those two choices?

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As long as you aren't trying to limit big spikes (e.g. from slapping or crazy filters), the BBE is a good place to start.

4. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well after asking questions on here, reading Bongo's FAQ, and reading about the compressors available, I had decided on the Aguilar. I've researched the Maxon and Diamond compressors as well. Aguilar just seemed like the best choice. As for what I'm wanting it to do...basic compression duties. Nothing extraordinary. Nice fat tone and something that will help level out the overall sound - especially when using a filter. Not really thinking so far as to that it will need to "limit" anything though.

5. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    See, that's what I don't want to run into - end up going ahead with the BBE and then still wanting to get the Aguilar.
    But, ultimately, I guess there is only one way to see, huh? Get the BBE and if it provides what I'm looking for then bingo. If not, save some $$$, sell the BBE on here, and go for it. And maybe find the TLC on here for a little less from someone that's doing the same thing I am.

Edit: The BBE wouldn't be so tempting if it wasn't 60 bucks on Amazon...but couple that with your review of it, Bongo, and it just seems hard to pass up.

Also, I will add that I dig in pretty good when I play live so I was thinking a little comp would probably help some of the stuff cut through properly?

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Spend the money on the Aguilar. If you don't like it, return it, orrrrr if it's out of the return time limit, sell it on here. Someone will scoop it up for sure! You're better off doing that than lowballing for the BBE and then wanting something "better."

7. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I almost checked out on Amazon but I decided to wait. Really rather start out with the Aguilar and go from there. Thanks for the help fellas! :bassist:

8. I have the BBE on my church board, and it does the job I need it to do (mild compression to even stuff out a bit before I hit the PA system) but it's not very tweakable. The Aguilar definitely looks more versitile, and I have only heard good stuff about it. If you're a knob tweaker, the Aggie is probably going to suit you more.