1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I Zig or Zag

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LedBelli Bass, Mar 25, 2009.

1. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Back in Jan I had the chance to audition for a band. I politely turned then down because the genre wasn't what I was looking for.

Last week I put up a craigs ad for players for my own new band. I got several immediate replies, including one from the now former drummer of the band I turned down. He tells me they are reorganizing and he doesn't want to go along. So we agree to get together soon, along with some of the guitarists who came along.

Then the next day I get a call from the January band asking me to come play again. They really want me and they are established and gigging. They have a new drummer and they want me on board. They are geared up, etc.

Going my own way with all the new guys would be a total start from scratch, gear purchasing and all.

I'm not getting any younger. What should I do? Go with the established gig, or go with a brand new thing?

2. I talk to an office in Pasco every day at my job. From what they tell me, there's not a lot going on there. If it was me (and I had the time to commit to it) I'd do both. More bands = more opportunities (and more hours on your bass).

3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Give them both a try, on a provisional basis for a month. If the band really want you then they'll take you on a temp basis, so you can be honest and open about, and the new project is just talk right now.

You'll soon know if you hate the band, and if the new project is likely to come together.

4. If you have to choose one - go with the band that is closer to being ready to Gig.

I would check both out though - Jam with the guys that answered your Ad -see if there is a good chemistry and the commitment to make it work.

Sounds to me like you are leaning toward the January folks though based on your question.

5. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Just spent an hour talking to the former drummer, and I think I'm going to keep both doors open for a time. Do both, pick later . . .

6. Well my friend, in January they were NOT what you were looking for, what changed? Perhaps you changed, and are now looking for the easy way out/any port in a storm? just asking.

7. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Any gig (almost) is better than no gig. It's always easier to find gig work when you're working . . .

Tried it out last night. Things went very, very well (for me), and the entire band was all over me with the sole exception of the "leader" who called me in. I'm not sure what that means . . . so I left with a question mark.

I guess we'll see . . .

8. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    UPDATE: Found out today that the cover gig is mine, so that's cool I guess. Maybe after a while I can spin some newer tunes into the set list.

In the meantime I will pursue my own blues/rock band on the side.