Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Go for it! (post pics when done!)

19 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Eh... not worth it. (post pics while it burns)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My first bass was a MIM Precision bass many moons ago.

Long story short, I modded the crap out of it and sold a boatload of parts and am left with the body which currently has a DiMarzio Split-P, a "no-name" Jazzer in the bridge position and a badly beaten up MIM bridge.

So... after stumbling over it today, I began thinking.

Should I resurrect this thing and buy a new neck, bridge and so forth?

If I get a neck, I'll need to get tuning machines, as well as a nut.

I'll also need a bridge, preferably one that is a direct replacement.

Anybody have any suggestions or websites that have the aforementioned at a decent price?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    To be honest... if you need a MIM fender quickly, get one on ebay. Otherwise, build it up bit by bit by buying (cheap) used parts on ebay.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're not in a rush, keep an eye out for used parts either here or eBay... wire it using the best stuff you can, and skimp on the hardware if you have to. The neck can be had from Allparts for about a Benjamin, and someone on this board has got to have tuners layin' around (check the for sale section ;))

4. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you can stand spending the money, screwing around with an otherwise useless instrument is ALWAYS worth it! Go, man, GO!

Otherwise, do what I just did last weekend with an old and utterly beat-to-crap Ibanez pseudo-Strat: Give it to an aspiring 10-year-old. They'll be delighted at getting a REAL instrument for nothing, and you'll be rid of it.

5. Thanks for the words, all.

I think I shall keep a look out for parts.