Should I....?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Does it make sense to sell my tube amp (Mesa Buster 200) for a light-weight, pint-size, digi-simulation, solid-state head?

My friend recently bought a Yamaha BBt500H which I got the chance to try at a gig. I found it very warm, loud, clear and punchy. Even the "tube grit" sounded more than OK to me.

I'm intirgued by the reliability and portability of this head compared to my somewhat bulky tube-amp. I have a GK MB150s that I use for double bass and smaller gigs, and I seem to really like the solid-state clarity that I also found in the BBt500H

Theres something about a heavy tube head. Maybe it's just the "look & feel" of it, or maybe there's something more :)

If I sell my Mesa, I could easily afford the Yamaha as well as a good tube preamp, maybe even an Avalon, for the money. Or some other candy....or a nice gift for my wife.

So my question, or my head-ache, is; should I look beyond the imagery of a cool tube head and go for the modern stuff or should I stick with the tradition...?

Any pointers? :D :confused:
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's always a tough one. I have gone back and forth. I currently use an Eden WT-550 head and a Bergantino HT112 cab. I wanted small and portable. It works great.

I have used a Pod in the past - with great success I might add. The Yamaha is a tempting unit, as are many "modern" light weight amps. I guess the Eden was my compromise. So far it has worked really well.

I love my tone and I don't misss a big rack full of heavy gear. You won't either. There' sno NEED for us (bass players) to haul around so much gear. I don't subscribe to the "I have to feel it" mentality. No one has complained about my tone with my little rig. In fact, all I get are compliments.

Ditch the "must have big head and tube" mentality. There is "something about a tube amp" but you don't NEED it - IMO.