1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by quigg, Sep 26, 2008.

1. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Join a band with members 6-7 years younger than me (24) They seem like ok cats and have a place to practice in. I just remember how I was 6 years ago... (probably going to say the same thing again 6 years from now). They definitely want to play the same kind of music that I want to play, the vocalist owns his own PA (he is only 18). I just don't know, it is hard for me to tell what to expect. As of now it is just the vocalist and a guitarist. The vocalist tells me that they have auditioned 3 other guitarists looking for the second and a couple of drummers, sounds good right? Still not sure though. Any thoughts from people who had similar experiences? :help: :bassist:

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm auditioning for a band this weekend with guys that are 20 years older than me. One of the first things we discussed was "age" and he said he doesn't have a problem was wondering if I would. I told him I didn't and now I'm auditioning with them.

I don't think it's a problem as long as everyone is fine with it.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    4 words....

Eighteen Year Old Chicks

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +18

5. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Yea, I keep getting older, and they stay the same age... :)

6. My drummer is 8 years younger than me (33 and 25) and it works out well. We've been playing together since he was 16.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Good sign that the vocalist owns the PA.
    That right there shows some dedication.
    How good is the singer?
    How long have the singer and guitarist been together?
    Bassically you're starting from scratch.
    How many tunes do they have already?
    If they find a drummer and you join, are they ready to gig?

If you want to join an ongoing band, look elsewhere.

8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The members in my band range from 26 to 43.

9. dwanetom

dwanetom

Aug 20, 2008
    Members in my band range from 35 to 62.

10. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    :rollno:

11. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I found the singer on CL, I have been looking for a metalcore band all deployment, and found one. They have been playing together for about a month, decided on a name, and got one tune down. This would also be my first band in over 4 years. I am definitely comfortable enough ripping the low end next to technical (hopefully accurate) guitar work. I have composed over 40 instrumentals in need of lyrics over this deployment and the last one. So having a setlist shouldn't be a problem. I was also impressed and relieved that he had his own PA. I think if they find a drummer and I join it probably wont take very long to learn everything and start gigging. I do it for fun, my dayjob supports my music for now, so I don't have any pressure to go out and gig for cash. If it turns into that, cool. If not, cool. Dig?

12. you should! give it a shot

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    No problems. I play with an awesome drummer who's 10 years younger than me and going pro. Smart guy that seems older than he is. The guitarist I play with the most (also awesome) is about 6 years younger than me, and going pro as well but in a slightly different direction.

The age is not a problem if you're all motivated. Great thing that the singer owns a PA, that shows he's pretty serious with what he's doing.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Pun intended. Lighten up, Francis.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    As long as their age isn't going to be an impeding factor in:

a) playing gigs

b) access to income (most 18 y.o.'s don't have good jobs and consequently have limited gear/rehearsal space monies)

c) parental interference (again, most 18 y.o.'s live at home. Tough to play gigs when you're grounded or have chores)

If their talent's up to par and their influences and personalities match up well, give it a chance, however, take into account the potential conflicts.