Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should i?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 9, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sell my thumb 6 and get this?

[​IMG]

i feel much more comfortable on a 5 string, but i do have fun on a 6.

as for the thumb, its between selling it and putting ultralights on it, and even then it won't be perfect. ideally i think a 6 string fretless LX would be the best but...this would rock hard as well.

anyone played a fretless proM/masterman/one before? i actually think christian mcbride has one...

plus that single pickup in the back should leave plenty of room for a speed ramp.

talk me out of it?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i can hear the mwah from here ! Go for it brutha !:D

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have always thought that Fortress is the nicest Warwick deisgn.

and "yours" looks really great and unusual.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do it.

5. Well if your more comfprtable on a 5 than a 6 than isnt this kind of a no brainer?

6. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    anybody know who makes a 2 piece bridge like that to buy as a consumer. The only 2 piece bridges i'v ever seen are made custom for bass manufacturers

7. is that pickup spray-painted gold or what? :confused:

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have had the same intuition but forgot to ask...

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, i'm hoping it's just lighting. could be wear, or skin goo...yuck.

i'm still gonna give it a couple more days to feel it out - sent dude an email and such.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmmm....i sent him one email asking how the fingerboard is, if the pickup cover is worn and why it looks painted yellow in the picture, if he had any pictures of the fingerboard, etc...

i didn't hear from him in a day and a half so i sent him another email saying that i was waiting on a response before i bid and asked some other questions about the bass (how are the pots, etc...)

this is the response i got:

...am i right in being hesitant to buy now?

11. What an idiot!!!:mad: I can certainly understand your hesitation. Keep us posted.

12. I think you are.

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    With a reply like that there's no way he would get my money. There are lots of basses out there. But then again I have no tolerance whatsoever with a$$holes of any kind, and I may have missed out on good deals because of it.

If he "doen't play the guitar" how can he judge it to be "awesome"?

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd steer clear. There's plenty of other Warwick 5ers out there. I think you can get one from a guy who actually appreciates bass. Or, at least music.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ha, i just checked his feedback - which was supposed to make apparent the quality of this bass somehow. he's sold one taylor guitar, everything else has been digital cameras and various other crap.

but it's such a good deal on it..... :(

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Deal or not. Shifty is shifty. And shifty is no good. Actually, I was pondering that same bass (completely didn't remember you were!) and then passed, simply because I didn't like the vibe the auction had. Weird....

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Personally, I would steer clear of the puke also. These basses pop up quite frequently on ebay. I have been looking a lot at Warwicks lately, keeping an eye out for an SSII 5er, and there are plenty of others out there.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, funny. It is advertised as a Fortress One, but that thing is actually Fortress Masterman. The Fortress One 5 string models had 2 J pups, while the Masterman had the pups like a Streamer Pro M, in the "sweetspot".

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm guessing someone just replaced the truss cover - i don't think that guy knows enough about instruments to be able to tell the difference.

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What about requiring an escrow service?