1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should I?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Jul 24, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    I didn't know where this thread would go,so here it is,feel free to move...

ok.my band is recording in the second week of august,and I was wondering,should I change my strings?...I have had them on for a few months,played a few shows,practice a few times a week with the band,and then my own playing time.do you think that it would sound better on the recording with new strings? or should I just leave them and change them another time? any help would be great...and sorry for a dumb question,I just want the recording to sound as good as possible.thanks.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's not a dumb question. A rule I go by is that I change my strings one week before going into the studio. That gives them enough time to strectch and all. I think this is about the best they can sound. I change them closer to the date if I'm going to be playing a lot. I like to play for only a few hours on a set before I record with them.

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I guess it's more about what kind of sound you're going for. I like the sound of a new set of strings, but many like the sound of deader, older strings.

4. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    thanks a lot,yeah,I was just asking to see if there was any advantage to changeing them...but I do like the sound as is.So I'll leave em.