Should it be like this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Hi all listen i just bought a MIM Jazz Bass from guitar center a couple of weeks ago and the neck pick up is slanted like 2 mm below the other side of the pickup. this hasn't caused a problem yet it's just that i'm not sure it should be like that
  2. Give the screws in the pickup a few turns to compensate. You'll need a fairly small philps screwdriver.
  3. which side does it 'slant down on?

it's not a problem, many setups on J's have the pickups higher on one side , for example

on my old J, the neck pup was higher on bass than treble, while bridge was opposite.

i found that this gave an even responce ,,

it may be like that to compensate for output signal
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's normal to slant the pickups so that they're higher on the treble side. It's the setup person's attempt to compensate for the usually wimpier sound of the D and G strings.
  5. the higher side of the pick is were the d and g strings are.
  6. then your cool with that, don't get the screw driver out and mess with it if you don't have a clue.

it's not an attempt to compensate as such, what canyou expect, the pickups on a MIM arn't all that good, plus it's passive, so in fact, by having it slanted your getting an instrument that plays and recreates sound accurately

my active 5 actually has a variable sweep to cut treble and boost bass, and vise-versa

so if it's problem, whic it won't be , get it looked at, but to be honest don't worry, get your playing goin, not many people started at 11

(except me but we don't mention the g'tar here, hah )
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The thing to check (while playing with other instruments!) is whether the string-to-string volume balance is even. It's true what christopher says -- the higher strings, having less iron to excite the pickups, do not yield as much output, so the pickups are adjustable to balance the volumes. This is a great way to avoid ::audible gasp:: a compressor.

Also, since the string vibration ("excursion") is not as great nearer the bridge, you should also consider raising the whole bridge pu and/or lowering the neck pu to balance their volumes to each other, so the sound doesn't vanish when you switch to the brige PU for ::audible gasp:: a solo.

On a very few bass pickups (DiMarzios come to mind) the polepieces are actually screws and so are individually adjustable. Far more g****r pickups, on the other hand, seem to have these screw-type polepieces. Dunno why.