1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should it stay or should it go. Homemade Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Well here it is, my homemade pickguard. Stained with walnut stain. Now lets hear your opinion, should i keep the crappy tortoise which was stock on the SX bass, or should i keep my cool handmade pickguard. Its not completely done, i still have to put polyurethane on it. All criticisms welcome.

P1000048.

P1000051.

darkpG. here is a photoshop of how it would look if i added more coats of stain to darken it.

2. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Tort.......:scowl:

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the wood one just looks wrong.. sorry dude.. the grain is all mismatched. Tort looks MUCH better...
    and get rid of that mat your standing on while your at it... yeeaauck!

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    handmade pickguard, but the corners need to be rounded out better!!! I think it looks great!!!

5. they both look good, but the tort looks "right". or maybe thats cause your guard isnt finished, i think when its done it might look alot better.

still, if i were you i'd put the homemade one on a different colored bass in the first place

6. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    the homemade may look better on a solid color.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    The tort simply fits better on that bass, IMHO.

However, I think that your homemade natural guard would look really great on an ash Jazz with a natural finish, or maybe a solid color such as white or black. I don't think the grain is mismatched at all, I think it looks rather good.

Can you explain how you made it? I'd like to try my hand at doing this same thing, and I'd appreciate any info.

8. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Well actually i got the idea from klockwerk, i have to give him credit. A asked him how he made his and this is the PM i got from him, which is essentially the procedure i followed.

"making mine was pretty straightforward. I took the stock pickguard off my bass, traced it onto the ply, made the modifications to the shape that I wanted, and then cut it out with a jigsaw. I cleaned up the edges with a file, sanded the whole thing, and then it's finishing time.

Pick out a stain that you want and apply it to a scrap piece of the birch ply. That way you won't screw up your new pickguard if it looks like ass.

I'd suggest finishing the pickguard with some kind of... well, finishing product. Tung oil or something that will build up a hard finish. I just mineral-oiled mine and it definitely got discolored where my thumb rests on it. Put a good finish on there so you don't do the same. "

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    To quote a post from a while ago:

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Great! I have to save that.

You used Birch? Where did you get the wood?

11. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I like the tort. Perhaps if you stain the wood transparent-black and give it a high gloss finish...

12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I think tort suits the bass better. Your homemade guard looks like nice work though, just doesn't go with that finish.

13. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    refin the body white, then use the wood PG

14. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    those photos are a riot of things that don't go together! LOL!

please, no disrespect intended..

15. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Actually I like the tort too, but for the wood one, since the bass has a shiny finish I'd give the pickguard (while not on the bass!) several thin coats of yacht varnish, rubbing down gently with wet-and-dry when each one is hard. I think you'll need to experiment on scraps to get the colour..probably either not darken much, aiming for a colour not too far from the lighter part of the sunburst, or pretty dark. (Or a solid colour that's quite different, but painting it black or white would take away the point).

16. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    The wood one dude.

With the lacquer it'll look pretty cool and with the tort it'll be just like every other.

So individuality wins!!

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Sorry, but I have to say this: Wood pickguards are an abomination.

:bag:

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Don't tell that to budman!

19. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I like tortoise.......but you did a great job!

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Tort just goes with sunburst. Yours looks nice, but not on that bass.