1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should Lack Of Exercise Be Considered A Medical Condition?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by colcifer, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i'd take the time to read that , but i'm just too inactive at the moment ...

:D

2. Hey, I'm disabled too!

I suffer from Motivational Impairment Syndrome

i keep trying to get the doctors to agree with me, but most of the time i just can't be bothered.

davesignatureII-1.

3. medical condition? sure. disability? absolutely not.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    It's a poor headline, which doesn't reflect the content of the article; it might better read: Should lack of fitness be medicalized?

Moreover, the blog entry doesn't really do a good job of summarizing the original source. Sometimes the internet is like playing telephone.

Finally...the commentary author proposes links between deconditioning and debilitating autoimmune conditions like fibromyalgia. I think there may be a bit of a chicken-egg thing here.

I think the source piece stands as an advocacy paper for the medical benefits of exercise, and for the medical community to make a greater priority of promoting physical activity. It just doesn't seem very well crafted, and the NPR blog entry sort of reflects that.

5. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Disability was never mentioned.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Knee jerk reaction.....no.

-Mike

7. NO. It should be considered a "lazy a**ed Mofo" condition.

8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I love it, somehow it's now the doctor's or community's fault that folks want to be lazy. I guess if you don't have a park right next door then you can't walk on the street or sidewalk and if a doctor doesn't tell you to get off you a$$ then it must be okay to sit around all day.

For me, this is not a medical condition, it's a choice that has serious medical consequences. Someone that's physically active doesn't "come down" with these problems.

9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Disability does not mean inability.

Man I say that a lot ... just ask my guys :D

10. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This this this.

11. gotta +1 this.

12. read the third post in this thread.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Well, okay, I did that. Still no mention of disability, nor in the linked blog entry, nor in the original source material...

14. Pfft, exercise caused my lack of exercise!

Exercise induced lazyness!

15. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    sigh..

16. meant to say third post.

17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I didn't think it was a very good piece either but it's an interesting idea.

18. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think the things that lack of exercise cause are more of the medical condition, just like things that can happen from smoking are medical conditions .... however these should be concidered "Self Inflicted" Medical Conditions.

I find it unfair actually that a guy that has been smoking for 40 years gets all the medical treatment he needs paid by his insurance, however I'm trying to deal with a proven Birth Defect and have to pay for EVERYTHING out of pocket because Insurance won't cover it.

yeah real fair :/

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I think never reading the linked article in the OP before commenting should qualify as a disability.:smug: