Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should low B str be tuned slightly flat? ( when using an electronic tuner) . tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Euclides, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Euclides

Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    I've noticed that if I tune the low B 10 cents flatter it blends much better.
    Try this; play both D on low B at 3rd fret and open D string at the same time having tuned the bass with your tuner as you normally do and compare it after having tuned the low B 10 cents flatter.
    I'm using a Korg AT-12 chromatic tuner; maybe the newer ones already have a compensation fot the very low notes.

2. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I do tune the low B string slightly (just ever so slight) flatter. This is because the low B string fluctuates more than the other strings when you hit it resulting in sharper notes. But if you do your intonation correctly at the 12th fret, it should not be too much of a problem. The B string requires a lighter touch.

3. Euclides

Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    Phil,
    intonation is set correctly at the 12th fret.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you spend a lot of time low on the neck, I'd suggest tuning B to what the tuner says. If you're going to be using notes on the B past the ninth fret, it does help to tune a little flat. I've noticed that the B on many 5-strings tends to go sharp as you ascend on the neck, even if you're not inadvertently bending it with the left hand or attacking the string too hard with the right. It's that damn Pythagorean fret placement.