Should mex Fender Jazzes all have 'fender' inscribed on neck bolt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goat, Jan 21, 2005.

1. goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Hey, I recently got a nice looking Mexican Fender Jazz serial MN8154120 in Purple from eBay. Needs a bit of work and set up but thats another story...

Anyway, I was having a look over it and noticed it doesnt not have the word 'Fender' inscribed on the metal plate where the neck bolts on to the body its just a plain piece of metal with a lil 'ce' sticker on it.

The neck looks genuine and the 'Fender' bit on the headstock, but have I been scammed with a random body? I certainly have never seen any Fender is this pretty purple colur.

Also if anyone can obtain any manufacture details from the serial number I would be most greatful!

Cheers if you can help!

2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I don't think the MIM basses have any logos on the neck plates. My Jazz V doesn't. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the serial #, I'm guessing that it's a '98. (N8 = 98.)

Hope this helps. :)
  3. Nah, only American and some Japanese Fenders have Fender (or a giant F, or serial numbers for pre 1976 MIAs) on the neck plate.
  4. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    A little OT here but what does that CE sticker mean anyway? I see it alot. Also, my MIM Jazz has a plain metal plate too.
  5. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The CE is a certification for electronics. From what I understand its the european and canadian version of UL(underwriters laboratories.)

6. goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Cool, I havent been conned. Thats nice to know! :bassist:

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. I've owned four Mexican's, and I put on four F style plates. The plain plate annoys me so I replace it with a vintage style F plate.
  8. Could you please post a link to the site where you get these?