Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should mex Fender Jazzes all have 'fender' inscribed on neck bolt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goat, Jan 21, 2005.

1. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Hey, I recently got a nice looking Mexican Fender Jazz serial MN8154120 in Purple from eBay. Needs a bit of work and set up but thats another story...

Anyway, I was having a look over it and noticed it doesnt not have the word 'Fender' inscribed on the metal plate where the neck bolts on to the body its just a plain piece of metal with a lil 'ce' sticker on it.

The neck looks genuine and the 'Fender' bit on the headstock, but have I been scammed with a random body? I certainly have never seen any Fender is this pretty purple colur.

Also if anyone can obtain any manufacture details from the serial number I would be most greatful!

Cheers if you can help!

Jim

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I don't think the MIM basses have any logos on the neck plates. My Jazz V doesn't. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the serial #, I'm guessing that it's a '98. (N8 = 98.)

Hope this helps. :)

3. Nah, only American and some Japanese Fenders have Fender (or a giant F, or serial numbers for pre 1976 MIAs) on the neck plate.

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    A little OT here but what does that CE sticker mean anyway? I see it alot. Also, my MIM Jazz has a plain metal plate too.

5. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The CE is a certification for electronics. From what I understand its the european and canadian version of UL(underwriters laboratories.)

danman

6. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Cool, I havent been conned. Thats nice to know! :bassist:

Cheers

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. I've owned four Mexican's, and I put on four F style plates. The plain plate annoys me so I replace it with a vintage style F plate.

8. Could you please post a link to the site where you get these?

Thanks,

James