Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should my first bass be fretless ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnr_fan, Sep 2, 2000.

1. gnr_fan

gnr_fan

Sep 2, 2000
    I know someone who is selling a Yamaha BB350, which i believe is fretless (?) . Should i buy it ? Does anyone have a picture of one ?

Thanks for your assistance,

Kevin

2. Not unless you absoluely know you really want a fretless. On the other hand, there is no necessary reason why you have to start on a fretted...

Your choice.

Use the search to check out other threads on playing fretless. This has been heavily discussed here.

Andy

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Heck yeah. If you like the sound.

On a fretless you have to learn how to play not only notes, tone, and groove -- you also have to lean how to play in tune. Fortunately, bass is pretty much the most forgiving instrument for playing slightly out of tune. And there are dots on the edge of the fingerboard to guide you. And why shouldn't listening carefully to notes the others are playing be a part of your learning? String bass players learn like that. Not quite as easy but more rewarding in the end.

Your user name -- gnr_fan -- may indicate that you would like to play heavier rock. Fretless is not a common sound for this kind of music but it can certainly be made to work. A bit trickier perhaps. Be prepared to be unusual.

Have fun!

5. gnr_fan

gnr_fan

Sep 2, 2000
    Thanks eli,

I am going to buy it, and if it gets too hard i'll just trade it in for another one ! Im not gonna really play too much heavy metal, i was more interested in just learning simple things like blues etc, i wasn't going to do slapping or anything like that, im a beginner,

Thanks again,

Kevin

P.S Did anyone find any information about the BB350 ? I found some reviews, but i would like a picture and a detailed description.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You'll have a blast with it.

Do you have any musical background -- singing, band instrument, etc? Or are you starting music right here?