1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should my pickups be this 'pully'

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, May 25, 2012.

1. Hi,

I've just had a set of EMG 35DC's and a BQS system installed on my bass. I was under the impression that active pickups were supposed to have less magnetic pull than passive (previously had passive). However, when I went to change my strings I noticed that the magnetic pull of the pickup is so strong that the strings actually stick to the pups until I increase the tension on the strings enough to pull them off.

Is this normal?? I have no previous experience with actives!

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Yes. Active pickups still have magnets in them.

What you need are piezo pickups! They won't molest your slack strings at all before you tune them up.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah, active EMGs have much weaker magnets than passive picups, but if you get close enough to the magnetic field strings will easily stick to them.

In a tuned string the pull is next to insignificant compared to active picups, though.

4. Yeh I get that, how come my previously passive pickups did not pull the strings though if their magnetic field is supposedly stronger?

Edit: Also I have the same model pickups on my 5 string but no pull there.

I'm not worried about tuning issues or playability as like you said once tuned up it's insignificant.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I get that pull when I change strings all the time with conventional passive pickups.

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Can't say for sure but all magnetic pickups contain magnets, all strings used with magnetic pickups have to be ferromagnetic, so all pickups will pull all strings tight against themselves, given a chance. Most likely the neck/pickup/bridge geometry on your other basses kept the slack strings from getting close enough to the pickups to be "pulled in." The strings on those basses may also have been stiffer and more resistant to being pulled down when slack. Or it could well be that this has been happening all along and you just never noticed it.

Ken

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    That's odd. All the pickups I have pull slack strings. (Active EMG, passive EMG and Passive open pole pickups)

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's not really about "active vs. passive"; EMGs have almost no magnet pull compared to many other pickups, but neither do passive lace sensors.

you can tell for yourself with a screwdriver, by laying it on the pickup and feeling how hard it is to lift it off.

9. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Could have to do with the type of magnets.

Alnico magnets vs. rare earth magnets where the latter produce a much much stronger magnetic field at a fraction of size and weight of the former.

Not sure if it answers your q.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm not sure either of these things is actually true.

lay a loose string over either one and it will stick.