Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should newkid buy Washburn Force 40?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4StringFox, Dec 28, 2003.

1. For background: I am a new bassist, started about 4 months ago and have been practicing hard on basses and amps borrowed from musician friends. No guitar or amp of my own, cause I'm new and poor. However...

Nosing through the local pawn shop, I found a 70s Washburn Force 40. Couple chips of paint knocked off, but otherwise everything looks and feels like it's in great shape -- knobs are stuck on nice and tight, neck and frets in good shape, etc. -- no dead spots on the fingerboard, even.

This brings us to the pickups. The precisions are fine. However, the jazz pickups on the E and A strings simply do not work. Turn both on and the E and A sound a little distant -- noticeable if you listen for it.

After haggling, the price will probably be $100-150. Are two dead pickups a deal-breaker? Am I really gonna find anything better in this price range? I'd really appreciate any advice y'all could give me. Thanks!!

2. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    if you are looking to get a bass in the 100-150 price range, i must recomend rondo music's essex line. they are cheep & good. the ones I have had experience with are better quality than mexican fenders
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/

3. The issue's dead with the Washburn, sadly. Dumbass pawn shop guy won't budge on sticker price of $400.

Thanks Jmann for writing back, I know we newbies try everyone's patience. I tried not to post until I really needed help. (I did ask aforementioned friends, while they could give me tips on the brand in general no one had heard of a Force 40. Looking around on the net I find more cries for info about it than info itself.)

I'm talking to myself, aren't I. :ninja: