Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should political content be allowed in signatures?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. Yes, but more 'inflammatory' sigs should be moderated

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    A ban on political content/quotes in signatures has gone hand-in-hand with our ban on political content in posts. Should political content be allowed again in user signatures?

Comments welcome!

If you choose the 3rd option, please post what you would view to be acceptable guidelines to determine if a sig goes 'too far'.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No. They're just another way for hard-core activists to tweak the noses of others!

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I voted no, but I'm sure some people don't like my Sig either.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    No, what does playing bass have to do with politics?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I also voted no. Lets pretend for a second that political threads are allowed. I could aviod them if I chose to. However, avoiding political sigs would be impossible.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ban on politcal threads should go hand in hand with ban on political sigs.

the way I see it is as a ban from political content in the main forums.

and I LOVE THIS, I don't mind it one bit, if you need to talk politics support the site, it's not that hard.

it is Especially bad if I see someone that has a political signature, something that I may disagree with, or think is very uninformed, it will leave a foul taste in my mouth when interacting with that person, which I'd rather not have.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - 10 out of 10 - pretty decisive!!

I agree and think that any inflammatory material in a sig should banned - whether it is political religious, personal attacks, racist, sexist - etc.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can disable the display of signatures in My Talkbass -> Edit Options -> Show user's signatures in their posts?

I'm undecided, especially since religious ones are allowed, which are political too in a way.
    If you disallow political ones, religious ones should go too.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What? And miss out on the good ones?
    I don't want to make ALL of them disappear.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    What may seem harmless to one can be very offensive to another. I think most of the suspect sigs are put there just to ruffle feathers. I think you want this board to be about Bassism.
    So, unless you want a back-and-forth battle of the offensive sigs...I'd say no.

If people want to battle it out, at least they can pay for the privilege in the Lobby.

11. Bruce Lindfield

But presumably not Gods 1 through 8 ? ;)

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Signatures are an extra chance to stamp some personality on your postings. I use mine as a little space to mention my band and forthcoming gigs, which seems appropriate to this forum (since it advertises opportunities for people to check out my credentials when they've read what I've written about bass playing).

If somebody is passionate about political subjects and can express that in a way that isn't offensive (eg. not "Anyone who doesn't vote [blank] is a dork") I'm quite happy for them to make some mention of their affiliation in their sig - like anything else, it tells me something about them.

I don't recall seeing any politically offensive sigs... mainly, I just remember the funny ones.

Wulf

13. Bruce Lindfield

I've seen a few generally offensive sigs - but they haven't lasted long - presumably due to complaints!

It may be that you haven't noticed them due to time difference, as they came and went when us UK TBe'rs were asleep or playing late gigs! ;)

I think the other thing is that US Politics seems all the same to us in the UK - right wing and more right wing! ;) So we don't tend to notice it as much - but I'm generally against having things in sigs that wind other people up.....people can be funny without Politics or Religion, Racism or Sexism etc.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    But where does that put something like your quote? Philosophy? Metaphysics? New Age mysticism?

It's short and unobtrusive enough that I can skip over it without worrying about whether it should be construed as religious... but if we limit quotes that could be seen as political or religious, how long will it survive ;)

I like freedom in signatures - it tells me a bit more about the person writing. If their signature seems calculated to offend, they probably won't hang around too long on TB anyway and it gives me some warning before I bother wasting time composing helpful responses to their questions...

Wulf

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Yeah, I know... I've been meaning to fix that for a while

16. i dont really care, i voted yes. whats the big deal??~?? all people are doing is just stating there opinion in there sig. you dont HAVE to read there sig. i say "freedom of speech". am i gonna go and put plitacal stuff on my sig...nope, becuase im not into that stuff. but i dont see a reason why we should ban it. and about haveing to do with bass, dude....people have tons of stuff that has nothing to do with bass, so why single out this??~?? idk, just my 2 cents.

- w00t

17. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    [rant]Freedom of speach is one of the great social achievements that I and we all should hold dear.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words'll never hurt me.
    If there is a person who has a political view which is contrary or seemingly um... unhealthy. well that person has the right to have and express that view. take away their right to express and you take away from the reason we are here. we are artists!
    If you are going to censor political content the you must censor religous content then mabey philosophical content then mabey you will have to take out the 'Off Topic' section altogether.
    Now come on are we all really that insecure that when we see a sig which is no to our liking we feel we must censor?!?
    Usually when I se teenagers these days I think man, these kids are so oblivious and rampaging! what the hell is the matter with them!? then I think oh yeah I was there once....:rolleyes:
    [/rant]

[​IMG]

live well,
    Richard Cooke

18. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    damn, how do I make that link show up as a picture?! I used the [img xxxx /img] [] thang....?

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Let em rock, we're all big people here, it doesn't rub off.

If they can't take a little written freedom, let'em move back to Limburgerville. Or move the server to Texas.

Oh, I forgot, you ARE moving the server to Texas, Lone Star State, Bastion of freedom, home of the Alamo, legislative arrest warrants and Clear Channel. Ban what free speech did you say?
    ;)

20. Bruce Lindfield

I don't know how many times we have to say that there is no such thing as "free speech" and especially not on the internet.

And that's a GOOD THING!!

So - there is no freedom to :

Incite Racial Hatred
    Entice young children to meetings with paedophiles
    Plot terrorist acts
    Slander others and cause them to be publically vilified
    etc. etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.