Should political content be allowed in signatures?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. Yes, but more 'inflammatory' sigs should be moderated

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yeah, I know, and I laughed *MAO*. !

:D

Thor

PS I loved it, it just happened to fit the point I was trying to illustrate!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

:rolleyes: Oh hush!! You know that you wish you were that chick's finger in Thor's avatar!

:D ;)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Strangely enough, I find that I'd much rather relate to women as whole people, rather than body parts!! :meh:

4. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Not me, I'd rather be the finger you don't see...don't you wonder why she's smiling?

(Apologies if she's someone's wife or daughter or whatever...that's meant to be funny).

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Zulu, you are always one step ahead of me!!

:D

;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

No, that's what's called a double standard!!

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

And that's whats called a wet blanket.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I voted "Yes but moderate for inflammatory statements..."

Our signatures give a little hint as to who we are, or think we are. If someone wants to say "Look at me, I'm a Libertarian" Cool. If someone wants to say "Labor Party is for [insert derogatory term]" Not cool. If someone wants to say "I'm all for (or against) charter schools" Cool. If someone wants to say "I'm against Gay Rights and all gays should be lined up and [insert severe punishment]" Not cool.

Peace,

James

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What if someone's sig said "I'm against gay rights"? Cool or not cool? How about if they said, "Charter schools are bad - people who run them should be taken outside and shot"?

Wulf

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    IMO, this discussion points up why ^%[email protected]#& political sigs should not be allowed *at all*.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well it's quite varied - I think it points up why there shouldn't be any discussion apart from bass-related stuff - political is just one of the non-bass areas that starts friction - but there are many others....like religion etc.

12. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Do better Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Yes those are the two main choices...but people have very mixed opinons about what should be allowed and what shouldn't.

The Lounge is fine with political content (that way Bruce has somewhere to post;) ) but I still can't say I'm %100 either wayt on the sigs. As I reread this thread and think about it more, I am leaning towards allowing political sigs. If someone has a political sig, and a non-supporting member gets some emotions stirred about it, there is no need to post a thread about it. Just send the person a PM, or turn sigs off.

About asking Xavier to change the rules in the Lounge, I would do that but I don't wanna change the rules he posts unless he says I can (or unless Paul says I can). And I can't really ask him because he is away atleast until early 2004.

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Applying my very binary filter....

"I'm against gay rights" Cool. I don't have to agree with or like any one's point of view, whether it's in their post or in their signature. And personally, I like to know where people stand on such issues.

"Charter schools are bad " Cool. No more offensive to me than someone posting "Alembics are crappy basses"

"people who run them should be taken outside and shot" Not cool. Now we've gone past opinion to offensive. Similarly I'd take offense to "and people who play them are idiots" being added to the "Alembics are crappy basses" line.

Peace,

James

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    James,

FWIW, I like your present signature - "Some days ah'm the bug, Other days ah'm the windshield" - short, funny and a good example.

I think I tend to agree with your filter - the way I'd express it is to say that expressing a personal opinion is okay ("I can't stand Alembic basses") but expressing personal opinions as blanket statements of fact ("Alembic make crappy basses") or disparaging those with different views ("Alembic users should be taken outside and shot") are not (nb. I've nothing personally against Alembics - I just seized on the manufacturer James suggested and, in my experience, they're good enough basses to survive a bit of baseless but illustrative criticism).

Of course, even a factual statement about what you choose to believe is likely to make some people treat your posts less seriously - I've always gone for either humour or letting people know about my gigs - but I don't think it's worth kicking up a fuss if somebody else want's to nail their colours to the mast.

Wulf

15. Thor

Wulf.

I totally agree with that.
    Thor

Clay

I understand your reluctance to change the rule
    without consulting X. I wouldn't either in your circumstances.

Bruce

I disagree, but the 'should OT' exist topic has been beaten to death. No point resurrecting that discussion here.

Thor

PS - Wulf
    [James sig is from a Mary Chapin Carpenter song,
    but I think it is actually, "Someday's I'm the windshield, someday's I'm the Bug!' Of, course, she may have lifted it from elsewhere, but her song was the first place I heard the phrase musically. ]

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Thor,

Interesting bit about my sig. I didn't realize it came from Mary Chapin Carpenter. I heard a comedian (can't remember his name) say that during his act and I thought it fit my work situation perfectly. I'm in a position where I drive workload (and to some degree stress)for a lot of people. That's my windshield mode. I also have a lot of top level folks driving my workload (I refuse to be stressed). Bug mode.

Wulf,

I like your improvement to my filter. FWIW
    my choice of picking on Alembic is sort of sarcastic. My fetish for Alembic basses is well documented in Talk Bass threads :bassist:

Peace,

James

17. I second this motion!

Treena

18. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not ressurecting that debate - just pointing out that logically, a debate in a forum has nothing to do with sigs - acrimonious debates exist in forums not in sigs!!

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The point Bruce makes here is the underpinning for my position on this. Same rules should apply to sigs as are applied to posts in general.

****CAVEAT****

Some can (and will) use the sig portion to put forward ideas and opinions that if posted in "Basses", would normally be booted by a mod to "Off Topic". But then, it's an imperfect world we live in. Sometimes you have to take a pass on the inclination to sweat the small stuff.

Peace,

James

20. Thor

That's very true. I just happened to interpret that post differently, I suppose. :)

My problem here is what is 'inflammatory'.

I agree with Wulf's eloquently stated position.
    I have no problem with Libertarians, Republicans, Democrats, Labor Party memberes, Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc., referring to who they are in their sigs. I also don't have a problem with an quotation of past or current politics. I have seen a few quotations on the board, for example, one by Winston Churchill.
    I have no problem with teenage love angst if that is what that person is about. An area I know that has distressed you often here on the board. ;)

I have no desire to restrict at all what a person can tell me about his or her interests, whether I agree with them or not, or whether I even care about those interests or not.

Thus the filter that Wulf talks about, when does a statement of opinion become problematic?

I suggest the ' it's allowed unless specifically prohibited' approach, as it is so much easier to
    to adhere to for the forum user and for the moderator to enforce.

I did NOT say that that condones any behavior that is already prohibited in forum rules.

Though it does help to know the rules so you can skate up to the edge without going over. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.