Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should Reconed speakers sound like new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Jul 15, 2004.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have two identical 210 cabinets. One with brand new speakers in it which I installed in february this year. The other cabinet has the exact same model speakers except they were older and in bad shape so I sent them off to be reconed. When I got the speakers back from reconing, I installed them and they sound fine. When I A/B'd the two cabinets the one with the new speakers sounds considerably louder than the one with the reconed speakers. I have double checked to make sure none of the speakers are out of phase by doing the 9 volt battery trick and all seems fine. Anyone have suggestions on why one cab would be louder than the other?

2. Could this possibly be a situation where the manufacturer changed the specs but kept the same model designation?

3. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    The first thing that come to my mind is who did the recone, and what parts he used to do it. Did you make sure the recone was done with parts made by the manufacturer of your speakers?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    another option to consider is that the manufacturer may not have sent you the same speakers back - if you sent them 8 ohm speakers and they sent back 16 ohm speakers, AND if your cabinet is wired in parallel - then your cabinet was 4 ohms but is now 8 ohms, so it's not as loud. Something like that could have happened. Not to mention that when you say you installed new speakers in the other cab you may have changed that cabinets impedance
    just a thought

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, they should sound the same. You may notice an ever so slight difference in sound, nearly imperceptible, but there definitely should be no real difference in loudness. I'd check the impedance first.

Even though you're comparing them to "new" speakers, it could be that the recones need just a little bit of use to loosen up the surrounds and spiders. You might want to contact whoever did the work to establish that there may be a problem, but I'd put a little play time on 'em before I conclude that something is definitely wrong.

**edited to mention.......any difference in sound is not due to the recone, it's just that if you've got really sensitive ears, often two identical speakers will have some very small difference in sound quality, even if they're both brand new.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    To check that all your speakers are wired in phase, plug a 1/4" cable into the cabinet, then at the other end touch the tip of the plug to the + terminal on a 9volt, and the sleeve of the plug on the - (or vice-versa). All the speakers should move in the same direction.

If you're checking multiple cabinets, make sure you're doing it the same for each cab - i.e. + to tip, - to sleeve.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Putting a 9V battery across the speaker terminals causes the cones to either move out or move in, this can be used to check that all the speakers are wired in phase (i.e. either they all move out or they all move in)

8. does that 9 volt trick create a potential for blowing out speakers?

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Not for speaker drivers used in a bass system.

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Nah. I wouldn't advise anyone to hold it it contact for an hour to see what happens, but just touching it for a second is no problem. I don't know the math right off, but 9 volts equals maybe 15 or 20 watts at most.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...9 volt battery trick...that's really cool! never knew that...

about recones, if you're getting the same model speaker in identical cabs, they should sound the same...unless maybe the manufacturer is using different parts...for all intents and purposes, a reconed speaker is a new speaker just using the old frame...that's how the eden guys explained it to me...i did a recone and was quite satisfied...

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Factory parts aren't the only concern for reconing. There's also a human aligning and gluing the assembly. I had a roomate who was a pro reconer. He had lots of little tricks to "improve" the sound of aftermarket reconing parts. Incidentally, quite a few people prefer aftermarket diaphragms in some high frequency drivers, both for cost and for sound. JBLs are a well known example.

If the older drivers were in really bad shape, they may have needed to be remagnetized. Not all that many reconers are set up to do that.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    And if you can get 15 or 20 watts out of a little rectangular 9V battery for longer than a few seconds, you've got some kind of magic touch! ;)

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK I guess I'm going to have to chalk this one up to some kind of operator error on my part. I was checking my cabs out at home when I first noticed the difference. Then I used the cabs at a gig 2 weeks ago and noticed it again. I had the cabs split up at the time instead of one on top of the other. After reading all of your posts today I went back and double checked for one of the speakers being out of phase and all was still good. I was going to take the speakers out and double check that they all had the same number on the sticker on the side but thought I'd A/B the cabs again first. This time I could hear NO difference between the two! :eek: Don't know what else to think but operator error or bad cable or something.

15. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Bad cable or possibly a healthy ear cleansing ;)

*ducks*

16. :D

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Reconed drivers take a couple of hours to 'work' in. After that, if the recone was done properly they sound pretty darned close to original.

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Maybe that's it. Maybe I played them enough to work in and sound like the new speakers.