1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should religious content be banned at TalkBass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    40.1%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. Carrot worship only

16 vote(s)
    10.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK. Here's the poll.

This is an excerpt of my post in the "Prejudice" thread.

These [religious] threads are at least as obnoxious as the political threads were before they were shut down and banned. To avoid a double-standard, I recommend that religious content not be permitted on TalkBass, period. It really serves no purpose to discuss religion in a music-oriented forum. I don't think a single person has changed his views as a result of the often acrimonious intercourse here (OK, maybe one). So what's the point? Why can't we all just Talk Bass?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    But it's so fun.

3. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    ^ what he said, minus the sarcasm.

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Thank you for posting this poll. I believe that the lack of respect for others and their viewpoints demonstrated during much of the religious discussion here inspires enmity between members and takes away from the enjoyment of TalkBass. Therefore, I also believe that discussion of religion should be banned from TB.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...where's the sarcasm? I know it looks like I was being sarcastic, but I actually meant it :p.

FWIW, I voted carrots.

EDIT: Also, I disagree about the divisiveness of this issue...to be honest, I've felt more feelings of malice towards stupid and downright WRONG musical advice I've seen than any of the discussions we've had here in OT lately!

6. I voted "no," since I'm against the concept of "banning" discussion.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Respect issues notwithstanding (I have my own views regarding the respectability of some of the views expressed here), I just don't see why it needs to be here. Perhaps confine it to the Lobby, but I don't even think it belongs there.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Perhaps, but you must respect it.

9. I'm against censorship in pretty much any form, but there is a time and place for different discussions. This is a bass forum, not a religious forum. Keep it focused.

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    When was it un-banned exactly? I thought it was intill I started noticing all the religious threads of late.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Where would we draw the line on this one?

- Can I post about how the lord filled me with his spirit while rocking out in te Church?

- Can I post about how Allah blessed me when he cured my finger blisters and allowed me to play?

- Can I post about what amp produces the best tone to match my Rabbi's voice in the Synagogue?

- Can I have a signature that contains a Bible verse?

- Can I have a user title that proclams me to be of a paticualr belief?

- Is a discussion about agnosticism (not a religion) allowed?

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Might as well get rid of OT if that was how we thought here :eyebrow:

13. Absolutely NOT.

Why? Because those of a faith have the opportunity to help other understand their views. Not push it but talk about it. Those who are not of a faith can do the same.

I think the key is respect.

If a thread becomes disrespectful in ANY thread topic it should be closed imo.

I'm not religious but I'd hate to think you couldn't say "I play in a gospel band". or I listen to Christian music. Religious people have made music a religious topic.

14. The point is that this is a bass forum not a religious forum. One does not go to McDonald's if she wants pizza and she should not go to TalkBass to discuss about religion.

In any event, you will probably notice that the "discussion" about religion on the forum is really just a few guys saying how bad it is - not even an interesting discussion.

Sharing musical experiences for playing in religious contexts is one thing, posting stuff about the evil Pope is quite another.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Then we also shouldn't talk about cars, women, or baked beans either.

It's a dangerous game, that of censorship.

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    While I'm not saying I'm against a total ban, the line would indeed be incredibly hard to draw.

17. Absolutely.

Waste of bandwidth, especially when most of the threads just turn into ludicrous nonsense anyway (IMO blah blah). Doesn't matter who's to blame, it's just the natural evolution of religious threads.

This is a music forum, moreso a Bass forum, let's talk-bass! :bassist: <- that's a bassist.

OTOH if it annoys you, just ignore it. Thankfully the religious threads aren't very obvious, so they're quite easy to palm off :)

18. I don't think that it would be that difficult at all - there are some people who want to use this forum as a soapbox to rant against religion and religious people and that should have no place in a bass forum. Likewise, there is no place for people to open evangelical threads trying to recruit believers - but oddly enough, we don't see that happening, do we?

19. Hi.

Voted no.

The lack of self-regulation from the posters is something that has caught my eye during these few weeks that I've been posting here, regardless of the topic/subject at hand.

I can see the need for banning certain sensitive areas of discussion in a board directed towards somewhat narrow field of interest, in this case music ->instruments->bass, but no-one really needs to read or comment anything that they don't like or approve anyway. Nor is there a need for provoke anyone intentionally. Seen that happen too :confused:

As in real world, in the anonymity of the internet there's always some folks who like to pick a fight with anyone, or everyone for that matter, and as I don't have to have the last word, I usually just stop and respectfully walk away. In the real world and in cyberspace. It's easier in the long run, I've learned my lessons.

If discussing about something like politics, religion, sexual preferences, cruelty to the animals, whatever, is banned, that makes it that much harder to moderate these forums and setting the limits as what is acceptable and what is not isn't that easy.

Take this (near-)religious approach to _______ products (a few popular brands of equipment comes to my mind, but insert whatever You feel appropriate), should that kind of " strong belief of a community to a higher power" to be banned also? I don't think so, allthough I don't get it.

Banning is easy, tolerance and respect is hard, even impossible.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Threads? No, but I have defintely seen posts, signatures and user titles that could fall into that category.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.