Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should Rock music be put out of its misery?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 5, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm starting to think that Rock has ran it's course. I turn on MTV or the radio, and all I get are these faceless bland Nu-metal bands.

I turn on Conan O'Brien or Late World With Zack, and it's the same Alt. music with the same format, the band just has a different name: Jangly rock, by four guys who look like what the Beatles would look like if they never combed their hair, the guitarist always plays a Rickenbacker, the bassist always plays a sunburst Jazz Bass, they sound just like the blatant Velvet Underground-ripoff band that was on the night before them.

Back in the early days of Rock, when Chuck Berry and Elvis were out playing their hearts out, rock n' roll was new. There were so many avenues to explore. Now that Rock is 50 years old, it seems like a lot of the new artist have run out of ideas. I mean, with things like Prog Rock, you have covered a lot of territory. Rock has been mixed with every style from bluegrass to techno, to jazz to rap. I'm just wondering if you think there is anything left for Rock to accomplish. Do you think we are just in a bland era of rock that will pass eventually or that Rock is finally going down the tubes for good? I mean, there's only so many songs you can write with E, A, and B chords, and there's only so many riffs you can play with the pentatonic scale.

Personally, the only mainstream bands I find entertaining on a musical level are Tool and SOAD. The only mainstream artist that I like on an entertainment level is Kid Rock. (I'm sick of all these bands with no stage presence)

I keep listening to Folk, Jazz, and Techno music more each day. I'll always listen to Rock, but the mainstream bands seem bland to me and the underground ones just seem unoringal.

Sorry if I sound like I'm whining in this post ;) What are some of your opinions.

2. No slander towards Rock, but, Jazz is where it's at.

Welcome to the New World, Liquid.

Mike J.

3. Dont hold back L.M. tell us how you realy feel !

4. Whoa! We almost had an e-collision, Chopper! Only one minute apart. :D

I'm gettin' better radar.

Mike J.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I agree! I turned my back on (most) mainstream music a long time ago. Most of it, with the exception of only a few bands, just sound tired and uninspired to me.

I agree that the old stuff - which actually was good - will never die. IMHO, it's the new bands that are killing it... It's hard to say what will happen; because so many "anti-talent" bands arose in the 90's, it will be awhile yet before their legacies wear off. And, who can predict the next "big thing"? It could well be a resurgence of some kind...

6. Rock will never die. There are still way too many great rock bands out there, I mean bands like Spocks Beard, Dream Theater, Marillion (yes, they still make albums), Pain Of Salvation, Transatlantic, Flower Kings etc. The only styles I really can't stand are techno and the modern rap stuff, wouldn't mind if those two died right now (remember that's what I think, no offense intended ;) )

7. I agree, there still are some good bands around nowadays but rock is not the same as is used to be, I mean Deep purple, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Yes, Kansas, Journey, Boston, Jimi Hendrix, Canned Heat, WOW MAN, those where the days! It seems like it has become a lot more difficult to be orginal and creative as a rock band these days, most groups of today sound almost the same (POD, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit etc.) while older bands often where a lot different from each other and had a more unique sound, nothing sounds like Yes and I have never heard a band that sounded like The Police for instance.....

btw. did anyone else notice that really big/famous bands (and I mean "really" big) have gone?, bands that could fill a stadium with no problem at all (I don't mean festivals ofcourse, just the one band)? like Queen and Pink Floyd......

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    50's Rock and Roll
    60's Hendrix and prog rock
    70's punk
    80's poodle perm widdle rock
    90's Indie
    00's Nu Metal

The list is not exhaustive but I think that 'rock' is constantly evolving. Remeber that of those era's you only remember the 'good' stuff. For every Elvis there was at least 10 Cliff Richards (who was and is a thoroughly nice chap I just dont like his music).

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I've read your post a couple of times and to me your expectations may be kind of high: you want your rock band to be innovative musically and have stage presence that you approve of. Rock has always had a dual music/image burden. I look at SOAD and conclude they are as calculating about their image as a "boy band." I say try and judge first by the quality of the music. I don't think we should bury rock.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Liquid - I think I know where you're coming from.

The crux of the reason is that the mainstream music "suppliers" dictate what gets recorded by the mega-corporations controlling the recording industry and what the mega-corporations decide should be played on free-access radio in order to support their recording artists.

When you have a little time, please read what's on this link -
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/interviews/mcchesney.html

That site has other links that lead to other content which exposes the control those mega-corporations have over what goes into the typical rock fan's ears.

About 2 weeks ago, I was reading an interview with a nu metal guitarist. He was essentially saying that their band's insipid music was what the recording company wanted to fit their molds, not what the fans want to hear. He said his band can actually play much better. Even the bands on indie labels get picked up and compromised by the recording giants.

Hopefully, the younger generations will change what's going on. Until the FCC changed the laws, a corporation couldn't own recording companies as well as radio stations, too. That was changed. :(

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Rickbass is absolutely right. I worked for a radio station for three years, and I can tell you that the stuff we got from major labels all had the same kind of sound to it. This is why you all should be darn careful to read the fine print before you sign with a label, or they can and will screw, blue and tattoo you. Some labels even offer bribes to DJ's and Music Directors to ensure their stuff gets played. And, if enough people hear enough stuff that sounds similar and seems to be popular (this is where radio comes in), it will be the Next Big Thing. It's all pretty much dictated by the entertainment industry.

There are small labels out there that still have some integrity, but very few. Even underground labels are getting leery of signing anything that would be seen as "different" from their "norm".

Unfortunately, big labels are the only ones with the kinds of connections to make anything big... meaning, they can basically do what they do without worries of it going wrong. If something "different" starts to get popular in some town somewhere, they'll snap it up and copy it 100 times... :rolleyes: :mad:

12. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i agree- most "rock" bands are just popy-radioready crap, though some out there still carry on the rockin torch. let us not forget tool. incubus does rock. i thought they crapped out their rockin licks on make yourself, but the more li listened, th emore i liked. thats the mark of a great record. not ease of digestion like system of a down, linkin park, and so on. this brings to mind the oxrmoronic songs- come original by 311 and, rock&roll is dead by lenny kravitz. we can all only wait for the next products of tool, a perfect circle, foo fighters... i cant think of many more unfortunately and primus (maybe not really in the rock catagory- they deserve their own).

13. DUDE! You rule!

Yup, DT, PoS, Spocks, Transatlantic, Lemur Voice (Although they broke up) Mullmuzzler, Angra....

There are great bands out there, as thebug, and myself have mentioned (But still haven't gotten then all) These bands are the ones who will keep rock alive, by pushing themselves and music to a new level every time out.....

Prog Rock forever! :D

14. If you think the new rock is unoriginal take a look at the i.m.o. musical genius Devin Townsend and his projects. I recomend his record "Infinity". If you think this is unoriginal and boring i would like to hear what you think is original.
    Check this homepage: http://www.hevydevy.com/artists/index.html

Hope you find it appealing!

15. Y'all need to stop listening to commercial rock radio. There is amazing indie rock out there.

16. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    rickbass is so completely and utterly on target.

One of the bands that I was in for a very long period of time had several major labels look at us. Every single one of them told us the same thing: "You guys are really good and your music is very original/good, however we have no idea how we'd market you so thanks but no thanks". Now, you have to understand that this was a country/metal/rap band... seriously. It was humorous, it was supposed to be. The music industry just isn't as open as it used to be to things that are new/different. In a world where MTV and radio tell the youth of the world what is "cool", new/different stuff just doesn't make as much marketing sense. If a band like Led Zeppelin were just getting their start now, do you think they would get signed? Judging by today's musical trends in pop-land, most likely not.

I don't listen to the radio. I haven't listened to it for years because 99% of what's played on it is utter garbage... and MTV? Give me a break.

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I agree this is true for the most part as well. Two bands I can think of that are still capable of doing this are DMB and U2. Last time I saw DMB in Philly, they sold out 3 or 4 nights in a row in a large outdoor arena. Since U2 had a sort of homecoming with their last album, I imagine they generated a lot of demand on that last tour as well.

I also think there are a lot of pop acts that can still fill huge arenas with no problem, we just don't realize it if we don't see them ourselves. In fact, they are probably the acts filling most large arenas these days.

I would love to see Floyd come around again! I recently goofed on a smaller show around here too. STP is playing in Atlantic City in a couple weeks, and I waited too long to buy tickets (a week). I wish they weren't playing such a small venue, the tickets went too fast!

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I still have some hope for the genre. What Elvis and Chuck Berry did in the 1950's and what others did in the 1960's seems really original because a lot of people hadn't heard it before, in actual fact everything the early greats did had very deep roots in Southern folk and blues. The melody for at least one Elvis song (Love Me Tender) has been around since the civil war! What made the genre seem new and exciting was radio and television.

In the past two years Incubus, U2, Weezer and Jimmy Eat World, among others, have made rock records with a degree of commercial viability. Rock as genre will constantly evolve and grow.

I am reminded of that famous quote from the guy from the US Patent office in 1881: "Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nah, Monkey - They didn't know that ink makes you a better musician and that Page should've only played detuned chords on a 7-string. :D

20. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think "Big Business" is killing Rock music. Bands and musicians are what they are, and record labels sign what they think they can sell. I think the corporations that own radio stations across the nation have really been stifling Rock music. The programing is the same across the country, and that really cuts down on the variety of music that reaches the masses and, cuts down on the opportunities for tallented bands that don't fit into the "style-of-the-month" mold. I think if radio DJ's were able to choose the music they wanted to play (like they did until the early '80's), more bands would get more exposure, and the cream would rise to the top. The way things are right now, "The next Jimi Hendrix" can't get a record deal because he doesn't wear baggy pants and he doesn't have enough piercings.