Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should Serial #'s Match?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 10, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Scenario: 1978 Precision Bass bought used.

Serial number on body same year as the neck, but different sequence number. Is the bass a Frankenbass or did it roll outta the Fender factory this way?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've not aware of any Fenders that came out of the factory with two serial numbers. :eyebrow:

If it's a '78, the serial number should only be on the headstock. I've never seen one with two serial numbers.

It sounds to me like a parts bass, but I'm not an expert, and I don't know every bit of minutia regarding their systems in the 70s.

3. I just shipped off my '77 fretless P to my buyer. I put a tort guard on it, but included the original black guard. I noticed that the black guard had the serial number (same as the neck) printed on it (glued on paper strip, I believe). You may want to check that.

4. If I understand you correctly the serial # on the neck starts with S8 and the body has a different date written/stamped in the neck-pocket, right? Very common for Fender to do this in the late 70's/early 80's. They'd make a batch of necks and bodies then assemble basses as needed so it's common to have this gap. I've seen early 80's Fenders with S8 necks plenty of times. They were just using the stock of parts they had on hand.

Jeff

5. However, (on mine at least) the serial number under the pickguard (and I think there was one under the neck) matched the number on the headstock. Seems odd to me. Oh, mine was a 78 also (S8xxxxxx)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm familiar with Fender's annoying use of whatetever they had on hand, but it made for some pretty interesting beasts.

There was a serial number on a sticker on the neck pocket, S8, but not matching the headstock. I was thinking that Fender's bastardized production in these years might be a cause, or is this a parts bass?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pretty sure the pickguard is a replacement, there's no serial number on it.

8. I see. Could be a parts bass (they all are aren't they LOL!) or maybe a warranty replacement neck. Unless you bought it from the original owner and he vouches for it being as he purchased it new you may never know for sure.

Regards,
    Jeff

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, it's definately not the original owner. I can trace it back at least four owners, and I don't believe he was the original owner.

Could be a parts bass, could be a bastard Fender.

Nevertheless a helluva player.

10. That's the important thing!