1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should the Amp threads lighten up a bit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dog1, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I almost always go directly to the amp threads. Nothing else interests me much. But, as most of us know, these threads sometime become a battleground of, mostly fact based, opinions.

Some poor soul will ask a question about this or that speaker/amp configuration, and the battle rages. Chef has personally put down 2 of these debates recently.

Many times the OP has a question that relates to mixed speaker sizes, and/or amp questions. Many times the replies seem to assume that the OP has unlimited funds to build what the responder feels is the the perfect rig. Hogwash.

While there are many responders who seem to have a heart for the beginner, or one who is strapped for cash, many seem to believe that everyone should not only share their opinion, but be willing to get a second mortgage to finance what they believe to be the perfect rig.

Maybe I should get a facebook account. Nope. That would be worse.

Guys. Could we have a heart, and remember that sometimes these redundant questions are from kids, or someone new to TB? And in many cases, these posters don't have the money for what some of us have.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Meh...it keeps things interesting.....nothing like a good ol' fly in the ointment to keep the pot stirred.:p

I do get where you're coming from though. Many are curious and want to learn. Some expect instant gratification, (a real problem nowdays IMO). Some just don't know so they ask, ( a smart thing to do ). Some are so entrenched in "that's how I've always done it", they really don't want to open themselves up to another way or deal with the uncertainty.

Financially, there are folks here anywhere from wondering how to gather up the rent money for next month to those who can buy pretty much whatever they want on a whim. I get the budget thing. Not everybody can just go buy a few $300 drivers for their next project or just go pickup some $1500 piece of equipment because some other people say it's "the best". Doing the best you can with what you have oftentimes takes more study, education and talent than just swiping your card for the flavor of the month.

As far as the "economic ladder" goes, there's no doubt I'm on the bottom half of that thing.:p. Nobody's fault but my own, but that's the way it is. Thanks to some education I've gained here, as well as other areas in life, I've become pretty adept at ending up with some pretry nice sounding stuff you wouldn't think would come together that way considering the starting point. In a bigger picture sort of way, I think what a lot of people have trouble grasping the difference between price and value. The former is sort of fixed, the latter can vary greatly depending on the individual person and their situation.

So, if anybody wants some help, or ideas....just ask.

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Nope. An open forum is an open forum.

4. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    It's the same thing on almost any board on any subject (personal experience with TB, as well as long-distance running and woodworking sites)...some responses to repeat/basic questions are patient and helpful and take the OP's circumstances into account, but others not so much--it's a forum to hear ourselves TALK bass, right? ;)

My New Year's Resolution - listen more, understand, and empathize.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    You know Will, my daughter, son in law and grandaughter live in Austin. She has wisdom. So do you. Thanks for the response.

Tim. An open forum? You sound like one of the cut throats that drive me away from TB.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yup. Wag more, bark less and try not to be a part of the problem :)

Unless someone persists in his belief that 2+2=5..........

7. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks to you.....fellow dog man

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    That's not what he said.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'm no "cut throat" and I don't have a bottomless pit of available cash, but I enjoy the debate and you can't have open debate if you start imposing rules. I don't think I have ever dissed anyone on this forum but I have learned heaps from the sometimes agressive opinions of others. Remember PsychoBassGuy? He may have had an attitude but hey his knowledge made it well worth tolerating him.
    The internet is a world wide forum, and in the modern age young people learn to sift through the information available to them. This is at least a "safe" forum for all and a valuable resource for all bassists. If it ain't broke don't fix it...:bag:

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    NO!

A lighter forum is not the best for metal...

:D

=wr=

I could not resist... :oops:

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Open forum:confused:

That's almost as crazy as dogs and cats sleeping together!

F42AD10A-orig.

13. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Could assemble a FAQ type list of amps.

Amp 1, overpriced don't bother
    Amp 2, great value, doesn't do vintage but does modern tones fine
    Amp 3, there's a holy war about it, if you can afford it, you'll just have to try it yourself

etc.

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Awwwww...........

15. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana

16. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I hadn't considered that. So, what is the best forum for metal?:D

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    It's honestly not just the amp forum. All of TB seems to be seeing a new wave of hostility between its members where everyone just has to be right and anyone who disagrees with their opinion is wrong.

And that's another issue - a lot of people like to think that opinions are facts and not opinions. Using little things like IME, IMHO, and YMMV along with smileys and having the maturity to let things go when someone disagrees with you goes a loooooooooong way in making the forum better for everyone.

That's not to say discussion shouldn't happen and that people shouldn't (civilly) argue points in order to help each other gain new understanding and perspective, but it does mean that people should leave well enough alone and 'walk away' from conversations once it becomes apparent that no agreement will be reached without resorting to petty name calling and below the belt remarks to get a rise out of another member. Personally, I know it's hard from me to walk away once someone resorts to that kind of crap.

18. Why should the amps forum be any different than the rest of TB? ;)

I generally get tangled up in the Basses Forum, mostly people spouting off their "facts" in spite of printed documentation, reputable experts in the field, etc... I know I should just walk away. *sigh*

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd tend to agree with a point of Tim1's here. As petty as it may become at times, in order to have a "free" or "open" discussion, you have to take the good with the bad. You could even exptrapolate this out to a "free society" if you want, although that would undoubtedly send this thing into a tailspin. You have to be as free to fail as you are to succeed, as free to offer up intelligent info as you are to make an ass of yourself, etc. When you start clamping down with "you can say this but you can't say that", it's not free and open anymore....it's controlling speech and herding cats. That means it's up to us to police ourselves, if that doesn't turn out so well everytime....oh well....you gotta take the bad with the good...or be controlled.

And yes, I remember PsychoBassGuy, and very much enjoyed reading his writings....and learned a thing or two along the way....even though it may have come off the tracks a time or two.:)

20. Maybe everyone with a question should fill in a form first saying what they have to spend, what type of music they play and if they are gonna play metal.

That would keep the wise guys at bay and the OP could get the info he needs with the info he provides.

It's nice that there are technically adept persons here with a lot of knowledge and are willing to dispense it - but until they get called they tend to stand back of the crowd and wait until the smoke and feathers settle out.

Then it seems to me that people with a (vendetta perhaps) 'tude want to force feed their name brands or expertise down the OP's throat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.