Should the LEDs on my BBE Maximizer light up to 0dB or should I set it lower?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Nov 7, 2004.

1. When using my BBE Soniz Maximizer (482) in my effects loop, should I have my effects send level (it's adjustable on the loop) set so that the LEDs on the BBE are lighting up all the way to the 0dB marker? (they go -20dB, -12dB, -6dB, 0dB and then there's a red "clip" indicator)

Right now, it seems to be lighting up all the way to 0dB every time I pluck, but even with my hardest playing, slapping,'s not clipping.

Is this setting best as far as signal goes, or should I set it so it's not even reaching the 0dB unless I'm playing very hard?

(My understanding of this type of issue is that I want the strongest signal being sent out of the BBE to the next device in my signal chain, w/o any distortion [or 'clipping' in the case of the BBE] )

It seems like I would have the hottest, cleanest signal with the settings as they are right now, but as I said, I don't know the technical aspect of the BBE, so maybe I am mistaken.

2. I know there are other BBE users on TB...c'mon folks, oyu can do it.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

What effects are you running into? That's the critical factor in how you set the EFX send level.
  4. None...there are no effects in the pre-amp's effects loop, just the BBE. So the effects level is completely dedicated to the performance of the sonic maximizer.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You should download the manual from the BBE website. The LEDs monitor output, not input. The manual further states that the 482 is designed to work at a -10dBu input level. Put the unit in bypass and set your EFX out so that the BBE LED level reads ~ -11dB, as stated in the test section.

One more thing: is your EFX loop a series one?