1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should the output levels match....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I have an old Ibanez 707 with a PJ setup. The P is a Quarter Pound Duncan, the J is out of a Squire. First of all, would the P alone, put out more than if I add the J? The trouble is, I also play a passive Stingray with a Duncan MM pickup. When I switch basses in a live setting, the MM is super hot compared to the Ibanez. Id like to bring the Ibanez up. Would using just the P help?

2. The J will have no effect on the P's output unless you are putting the pickups in series.

3. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    It won't be a big thing, but when you solo a pick up, you stop the phase cancellation that occurs when there are two pick ups running in paralell. This way, some frequencies that were killed will sound much louder. Just saying, it won't solve the problem anyway.

4. Different pickups have different output levels. I have a passive Fender MIA Pbass V that CRUSHES all my other basses in terms of output level, passive OR active, and that's just a stock pickup. Could be the same thing with your Musicman... maybe that Duncan pickup is just really hot. You could try switching the J pickup to a Quarter Pound Jazz, but it still may not have the same output as the MM.

Another possible solution if you like the tone you're getting with the current pickups, perhaps get a small boost pedal. You can set your rig for your Stingray and then turn on the boost to bring the Ibanez up to the same level when you switch basses. There are even a few builders out there that have mini boosts that wouldn't take up much space on your board... check out this little guy.

5sg.

5. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    cool idea. I actually have a BBe Boosta Grande I could try it with.

6. Even better, no $$$ investment needed! Let us know if it works for you. :)

5sg.