1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should the sound post align with the treble foot of the bridge.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PauFerro, Mar 20, 2017.

1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Just curious if anyone knows if the sound post should align with the foot of the treble side of the bridge.

My upright got knocked over by the wind yesterday, and landed face down. No damage, other than a nick on the upper bout that can be sanded down and touched up, thank goodness. Although that it plays a bit differently (nuanced), but still fine. But not quite as open as it was, but still similar.

I notice the sound bar is not aligned with the treble foot of the bridge though. Should it be?

If it's not aligned, can this cause the top to start caving in under the pressure of the strings on the top?

2. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    The relationship between the soundpost and bridge foot is a variable part of the setup. In my experience it's almost never directly under the foot, rather set like a half inch south (toward the endblock) to start. From there you make small adjustments to shift color and resonance.

neddyrow and sevenyearsdown like this.
  3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Treble side yes, but location varies. Have a luthier give it the once over.

4. If your bass landed face down there is a large probability that the bridge was relocated by the impact (from the side). I doubt the soundpost has been moved at all if it has not fallen. Check the position of the bridge on the top and when you have repositioned the feet move the top of the bridge under the stents until the bridge stays perfectly perpendicular to the top (usually on the side facing the tailpiece).

Plato and PauFerro like this.