Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should the Ventures be in the RRHoF?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rumblethump, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    95.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who the heck are the Ventures?

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I don't know about the other geezers here, but I find it very sad that one of the most inspirational instrumental bands of the 60s is still not recognized by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I bought my first Fender and Mosrite because of the Ventures influence. I don't know one guitarist that doesn't play at least one Ventures song. How could they be overlooked? Anyone care to agree or disagree or even "venture" a guess on why?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I tottaly agree their is no reason why the sould not be in the big club. They are one of my favorite bands, i havent heard any of their new stuff how is it.

3. They were pioneers of a very cool sound.

4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I would agree that they should be in the RRHoF. I actually learned bass from a "Play Guitar with the Ventures" Album in the mid 60's. It had the lead, rhythm, and bass parts "tabbed out" for Wipeout, Walk Don't Run, Tequila, Twilight Zone, Telestar and one or two other tunes. Each part had it's own track. Really clever stuff - and effective. I'd love to find a copy of that as a keep sake. I almost got a Mosrite Bass one time too.

5. There are bands that had less influence and were a lot worse than the Ventures. I say Yay! to Ventures!

6. Can't believe their not .
    Didn't they have a song called Pipeline ?
    For some reason I kinda remember trying to learn that one on my first guitar in 65. Damn I am a geezer.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hehe...I have that album! :D
    YES! The Ventures should DEFINITELY be in the RRHoF.

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I've seen the Play along with the Ventures Album on eBay. Pipeline was originally done by the Chan-tays, but the Ventures included it on one of their albums also.

My brush with greatness. In the mid 60s the Ventures played the Circle Star theater in San Carlos. They were touring to promote the Slaughter on Tenth Avenue Album. After the show, I snuck back stage to meet my heroes. I still have my promotional copy of the album autographed by Nokie Edwards. Anyway, Nokie had put his car keys in his guitar case and his manager had left with his guitar for LA. The car had been loaned to him by a local friend who had another set of keys so I gave Nokie a ride to his hotel. When we got out to my car, I popped the trunk and showed him my Mosrite and Blond Fender Showman. :D

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't see why they aren't in there, but then again i think the rrhof is a pile of self-congratulatory crap anyway.

10. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I'm on the ebay item - thanks. Hope it doesn't go for too much $$$$

11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am in a surf band, and we cover many a ventures song (telestar, walk don't run and journey to the stars jsut to name a few). I really like the ventures more than the pyrimads (sp?), dick dale, the surfaris among others.

OK, getting back on subject, They were really pioneers, and I believe they also have over 200 albums. They also outsold the Beatles in the 60's in Japan. Doesn't that count for anything?

12. The HoF is really irrelevant. I mean, the list of amazing bands that *haven't* been inducted is a big and prestigious one. It's a popularity contest, a self-stroking exercise by the industry.

The Ventures in Space album is one of the greatest rock n roll albums ever recorded.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't realize they weren't in, that's a shame.