1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should the whole band share?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Pbassred, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Firstly, It was never my intention to manage a band, but since the only new band seemed to be tired indi rock I though that I'd put one together to keep ticking over.

Now I find myself booking rehersals, fronting the cash, chasing people into rehersing, even lending cash for their share........ people cant be there for every rehersal (although I always am). The fee is split between the people who turn up. The thing is: that this supposed to be a commertial enterprise - not a social club, even if it won't be a high earner.

Last night nearly didn't happen because some decided that they might not be able to come. I would have ended up paying for dead time

Would I be right to insist that rehersal fees are split even if the members aren't there? After all, the rest of the band is working. Presumably the earnings would be split evenly!

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Those who share in the profits should share in the expenses. Like a business, expenses should be paid before the profits are split among the members. You should withhold adequate funds to cover your upcoming expenses before you distribute the profits.

3. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    I hope you are insisting that you get an "extra" percentage for booking and managing.

Just don't do this. It rarely ends well. When people say they "can't come up with the money" it is rarely true. They want a free ride.

Sorry, I know this is direct but I've been there done that.

You want your band situation to work but you are better off letting these situations weed out the users and building a team of solid people.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    +1

We don't pay out after gigs in my band. All the cash goes into an account for expenses and then we split the profits once a month. We always leave $500-$1000 minimum in the account for expenses. We have about $3k in it right now because we're doing some recording and photo shoots.

Expenses come first.

5. Treat is as you would any business. There are expenses and there is income. If people are actually being paid to be a part of this organization, they need to live up to their responsibilities. That is not optional. If they do not. They get warned, fined, then fired.

Make sure the parameters of their 'employment' are clear and get it in writing. If you don't take the simple, necessary steps to ensure everyone knows the parameters of this situation, you can count on no one living up to your expectations.

One thing I have found to be a common mind-set amongst those who want to be in bands is that they what this 'all for one, one for all' idealist world to exist for them. That is a really nice idea, but rarely does it pan out fairly and more often then not it results in a broken band.

I believe a forumula for a successful band situation includes the following:
    1. A common and easily stated idea of what the band does. Type of music, gig schedule, expectations for recording, etc.
    2. A leader. Someone who the organization recognizes as the one who has last word in all band matters. Sometimes this leader can be a team or committee (more then one person) but rarely is it the 'band as a whole'.
    3. Clear direction and setting of expectations by the leader. If the leader does not lead, no one will follow.

I have always played the role of 'chief collaborator' in most bands where I accept the leader's will and do everything I can to support him/her. I am usually acknowledged as a 'key player' and end up reaping the benefits of committing to the band at a higher level then just 'hired gun'. I also find that the 'hired guns' appreciate having a good leader and other people who are willing to go 'above and beyond' the call of the hired gun role - rarely does anyone say, "Hey, you get more then me! I want more!" if they can clearly see that the leader and other key players are always contributing at higher levels.

If you are the chief, be the chief. Make sure they know you are the chief and lead them where you want them to go. If they do not want to go there, let them go elsewhere and fill their spot with those who will.

6. I like the "chief colaborator" idea. That's what I was in my last band. I could go away and do extra stuff that the "leader" didn't have a clue about. Unfortunatly he didn't have a clue about being in a band either. It folded 1/2 a gig after I left.

What % do you hold back for booking fees? Guess who owns the P.A. :help:

7. hellsgate

hellsgate

Dec 27, 2005
    My band has to pay for the rehearsal space even when we don't use it (but we do get to do extra practices to make up for it) so everyone has to pay their share even if they don't turn up. Only fair really as any money we make (which isn't much) gets split evenly.

8. Now I find myself booking rehersals, fronting the cash, chasing people into rehersing, even lending cash for their share........ people cant be there for every rehersal (although I always am). The fee is split between the people who turn up. The thing is: that this supposed to be a commertial enterprise - not a social club, even if it won't be a high earner.

I say no play no pay. Also no rehersal
    no play. We do split what we make with the three peace I work with. We all have our job other than playing. The front man
    has the place to pratice plus the PA, I have the van and trailer and do the printing for us. The drummer puts in a lot of leg work for us. We work togather. We have no rehersal pay. When we are doing good we all do good. If not so be it we keep working at it. The six peace I play with is the same we all have a job other than playing.

9. If you want to keep it simple, front more of the expenses yourself but take a higher cut.

For example, ownership of the PA or other general band gear like mic stands, speaker cables, monitors, signs, etc. etc. outside people's personal gear. If there's anyway to front all those expenses yourself, that's the way to go. If you are doing the booking, you are the manager of the band. If you are doing the hiring and firing, you are the band leader. Pay yourself first and be up front and honest about the way things work, and if anyone has a problem with it, they can help front some of the expenses.

I would just be most careful about shared ownership of tangible assets. That's where sharing expenses gets tricky when something doesn't work out.

10. It all depends upon your situation.

If your band is a business, treat it like a business. If you are a busy band, you should hire out this management/administrative stuff and pay them a fair cut to do this. This will keep you focused on the music and will help you avoid friction with the others in the band. Also, this will help make sure the management stuff gets done even better, which will hlep the band as well.

If you band is a hobby, treat it like a hobby. In any event if you are getting sick of pulling more weight than the others, discuss it openly with the band and just tell them. It is much better to raise the problem and solve it than to let resentment build.

11. +1,000,000

Caveat: "profits" - if you're paying band members a set amount, those are considered expenses. However, if you're in a six-piece configuration, and you go out as a four-piece for some gig, then additional compensation should be considered.

If the "band" is making $$ off CDs, t-shirts, hats, or other types of promotional materials, band members should share in these profits only if they're involved in providing the monies needed to procure them in the first place.

Remember that in managing a band, band members are "expenses." Manager that start to consider them assets may find themselves without a band to manage.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. This is exactly what we do. But it sounds like you've got a little more in the bank than we do. :crying: