1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should this concern me? Rant/question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Vacume, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    aaahhhhh Im good friends with the people in my band but I recently discovered that my both my guitarists cant play unless both of them are there, it turns out they were just sort of following each other, I didnt notice but it seemed to work as weve had friends over to practice and they didnt say anything but still this cant be a good thing can it?another thing is i think our singer is sub-par but my band mates love him, I dont know why but hes joinin my schools choir soon so that will help wont it?have any of you been in situations like this?

2. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Find the singer that best fits your band. The best singer for your band may not be that great of a singer in a different genre, etc. Also never let a band be a popularity contest or 100% about image, you'll focus on the wrong things and go no where.

If your singer doesn't fit your genre, but everyone in the band loves him, try discussing it with them. Move on if you see fit.

3. A little exaggerated but the lead-guitarist in my band:

- Doesn't know the words
    - Doesn't know the chords

...for any of our songs. Turns out, he is following the rhythm-guitarist to know where we are in a song BUT he plays the most amazing riffs and solos that fit the song perfectely.

So, to answer your question, it is not a problem that both your guitarists can't play without eachother but you have to take it into account.
    (In my band, it is not a problem to reherse without bass/drums/vocals or leadguitar but when the rhythm-guitarist can't make it, we have to cancel the rehersal)

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    For what it's worth, my drummer doesn't pick up on any lyrics to the songs until he's played them for months. He follows the guitar rhythm and the contour of the melody. He might pick up the hook, but if I just speak lyrics to him, he's usually clueless until I sing the part.

And heck, my bassist knows my songs better than I do. I launched into one of my songs yesterday in front of a group of kids, and totally forgot my lyrics. The KIDS had to tell me how the song went. That's embarassing. And then I went on to forget the chord sequence. I guess that's a side effect of not having time to rehearse properly but still having gigs on the books.

As far as singers go, the choir will help basic skills like pitch and confidence. Tonally, who knows. Stage presence probably won't be directly affected. And I agree, the perfect singer for your band might be the crappiest singer for my band. It's all about finding the right fit. Sometimes the inexperienced guys who learn with you will become the perfect fit - simply because they grow up into the role.

5. I think most self taught musicians have just found some kind of way to cue themselves with no real thought given to it. It's just intuitive.

But... you take their safety blanket away from them (lyrics for some, another musician for others) and it totally freaks them out, at least till they get used to another cue.

No big deal really. Might be good for both your guitar players to jam with you individually because they would be a lot better off keying off the bassist than another wanking guitar picker.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yea for me i'm self taught...I suck if there are no lyrics...somebody has to at least hum or act like they are singing I lose the hook and bridge etc it just throws off my timing real bad. My band has 2 guitars no problems playing with just I but if the singer is not there ...I blow! This is something I hope to overcome as well as your guitarist might do with time also.

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I'm kinda 50/50 on this. I find myself following blindly on some songs, and others I just "get". I think after these guys get more experience playing the songs, they should slowly stop relying on each other.

If it was really noticable, I'd probably say something. I know the guitarist will say something to me if I forget the change because I was just following. It's helped me out alot that he has pointed it out, and I think it's made me a better musician.

8. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Actually, now that I think about it, I feel like putting other band members in a position where they have to follow is a direct result of ME not adequately preparing them.

9. Hi All!
    All the members of the band should know thier parts completely.:cool: In our band all of us know our parts perfectly. When I feel comfortable about knowing a song, I can play it all by myself (just the bass track) with no other musicians and no cue's from any one. As bass players you have to keep that internal metronome thing going always, you and the drummer keep it all going.:bassist:
    TR