should this happen???? i was MAD

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by furiously funky, Aug 21, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i was sitting here playingnot 20 min ago, and my 2 week old elixer g strring broke near the bridge. this is the second string (first one was a stock with my yamaha)that has broken there in the same spot on the same string. is this a problem with my bridge or whats up??? this wasnt a cheep set for a poor little student like me. what should i look at doing if it is a problem with the bridge?
  2. the saddle might need to be filed cuz a jagged edge is causing stress at that particular part of the string...It should be that, cuz if it was 2 sets of different strings.
  3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    thats what i thought.
    would i be able to see this spot? and would any guitar repair shop be able to do this?
  4. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It sure sounds like a bridge problem and not a string problem. Can you poke around with your pinky and feel for a sharp edge? Sometimes running fine sanding paper along the string passage will do it. Depends on the bridge and where the offending burr is.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    any shop should fix it easy.

You could take a needle file ($10 at home depot) or even a little emory cloth like for cleaning copper pipe before soldering and CAREFULLY work the string groove. Try not to deepen/widen the slot.

Good luck
  6. so what was the problem? It was the saddle, right?