Should video game roms be illigal??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Dec 17, 2002.

1. yes

3 vote(s)
  2. no

10 vote(s)
  3. undecided

2 vote(s)
  1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Should video game roms be illigal??
    Personally, if they are NES and older systems, then no. But also for newer systems like PSX and N64, the n64 ones, well ill say.. i run a pentium 3, 1.3gig, 128mb ram computer.. decent video card (its all stock except the modem)... and the n64 still runs slow and has graphic glitches.
    So i was wondering, should it be illigal to play console games on the computer??
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, that's a gray area.

The thing is, they aren't making NES games anymore. (Are they still making SNES and Sega Geneises?) Sometimes it's difficult to even find the games used. You also have a chance to play games that were only released in Japan. (such as Final Fantasy 2 and 3)

I definatley would like to hear other people's opinions.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's just as illegal as pirating software. you have to buy the computer to play the games, and you have to buy the games ot have the legal right to use them.

but i think that once the manufacturer stops selling the systems, the games are as good as free range. it's not like a computer where you can run super old stuff on a new machine.
  4. It should be "illigal" until after people have finished their english homework.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

newer systems....yes.
  6. I would be happy if they all were illegal, and very restricted on the net, so that my younger brother (17) wouldn't spend so much time playing and downloading them. He plays from old NES to Neogeo stuff, almost pure fighting games, and nothing really new..
    But it gets me mad and there is nothing I can do to stop him from playing.. He always claims to have no homework to do, and never grabs the violin a gave him for his birthday which I bought with my own pennys, I hate those freaking videogames!:mad:
  7. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    i think newer games should be illigal.. but nes and snes and genesis games, should not.
    I dont play much video games, But i do buy psx games. Im getting a ps2 this summer and ill buy everygame i seem intrested in. Im mostly into racing games and stuff like megaman.!
  8. The fair use doctrine of copyright law comes into play here--if the video game companies cannot demonstrate harm from ROMdumps of 15-year-old games, they should be legal.

A fundamental premise of a free society's laws is that anything that is illegal is as such because it causes harm. I challenge anyone to tell me how trading ROMs of out-of-print games or MP3s of out-of-print music causes harm to the copyright holders.
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think the copyright owner would say that pirated versions of their out of print material reduce demand for potential reissues. Holding the copyright is like having the option to release the material whenever you want -- like if you bought artist X's copyrights and he was going to die soon you'd want to be able to capitalize on the post-death buying frenzy and you'd be pissed if some pirates beat you to it and took N% of your market share.

I don't know that they are right. I think information, including music, could be completely free in an ideal world. No, I do not know how the artists get paid in this world. Maybe this world is so perfect that people don't work for $ anymore, like on Star Trek.
  10. The people who came up with copyright law in the first place would not look kindly upon this line of thought, as this does not have a net social benefit.

It's well-established that copyrights and trademarks are meaningless once they have been infringed once and the infringement allowed. I think a more than reasonable addendum to this would be that copyrighted material cannot be held in reserve for more than a handful of years.

With regards to the matter at hand, the likelihood of reissue of old NES ROMs is slim to none, so there is no loss of income occurring.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    snes games however, are being ported to GBA, most of hte most popular games at least.
  12. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    If you want to make older systems legal but newer system illegal where do you draw the line? I don't think there can be any solution to please both/all parties involved. Personally I love ROMs but if I owned the copyrights to a game that was being pirated I would do all in my power to stop the pirates.

I really think that there can't be a situation where some ROMs are legal while others are not. For me its just a simple yes or no to all. I love ROMs but I think they should be illegal.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    For the most part I don't see a problem with Rom's of "extinct" systems- but as the issue was raised earlier, the re-issue potential is a grey area. Wrong Robot is right in saying that many popular SNES games are being ported to GBA ( which has only been officially dead since 98'), and many popular RPG's have been prted to playstation from NES and SNES by companies such as Squaresoft. If you look at download counts, the games that are re-issued are usually downloaded many, many times more than the obscure titles. I say if you can't find the game ina store somewhere, there isn't a problem with downloading it.
    Oh, and Nick, you'll want at least 256 mb of RAM to run those N64 and PS titles. About 10-20% of all roms have glitches and compatibility issues as well.
  14. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    >The people who came up with copyright law in the first place would not look kindly upon this line of thought, as this does not have a net social benefit.

Unfortunately, those people are long dead. Didn't Disney just get an extension on their copyrights? The mood in DC seems to be pro-corporation, not pro-fair use. I am sure they think they are working for a net social benefit, but I don't see it.
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, I think it's reasonable that older games that aren't being produced any more should be allowed to be reproduced. E.g. yer NES, Sega Megadrive/Genesis, Master System etc.
  16. The fact that the copyright-control bill sponsored by that entertainment industry whore Ernest Hollings failed is a sign that there's not going to be much progress on further restrictions. Also, one of the few good things to come out of the Republican congressional majority is that there will be no desire to kiss Hollywood ass, since the entertainment industry is the Democrats' biggest contributor (probably bigger than organized labor). Combine that with the recently fair-use-minded Orrin Hatch* returning to the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee and I think the intellectual property environment will tilt significantly in the direction of fair use.

(*You don't tell a Mormon who's been married 40+ years that the RIAA's needs trump his right to make a copy of a CD for his wife to listen to in her car, as Hillary Rosen did.)