1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should we be responsible for compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JFace, Sep 9, 2008.

1. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Some compressors can be pricey...should we be responsible for compressing our own signal? The job of the sound guy is to properly shape and balance the sound we give him, so ideally he would give compression if needed, right? What are some pros to supplying your own compression?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    What are some pros to having your own amp as opposed to always going FOH or using a venue's backline?

Same answer as your question - control over your own sound.

Not to mention, unless you are playing the same gig all the time, what a sound guy does and doesn't have at his disposal is going to vary wildly.

Personally, I like the idea of a sound guy's only responsibility to be to EQ my volume in the mix rather than sculpt my tone.

3. HELL YES!

The sounds guy is going to use compression to make your sound fit what he wants to hear. He is NEVER going to think "hey, maybe the bass player would appreciate a bit more punch" and dial it in - he's just gonna squish it like he does with everything else.

Besides, compression pretty well becomes a necessity when your amp is dimed. That's why so many bass amps have compressors or limiters built-in.

The less the sound guy feels like he has to fruit with my sound, the better.