Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should We have a TB Pedalboard Seal of Approval?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 10, 2006.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just a thought, because I'm bored

We could have a TB Pedalboard Seal of approval where you have to meet a certain criteria and then you officially have a kick ass board.

I was thinking you have to meet at least 6 of these criteria

Have your board wired with GL's
    Have a modded pedal
    Have a pedal that most people can't identify
    Have a vintage (over 20 years old) pedal
    Have a loooper
    Have an Analogman pedal (Because we all know these are just the shizniz)
    Have something with a Blue LED (because blue led's sound better)
    Have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2
    Have something you had custom built for you

A single pedal can qualify for more than 1 catagory but you get no extra points if for example you have 5 modded pedals.

What do yuo guys think, should this be made a sticky, do you have any additional criteria or is this just a really stupid idea and I should get back to work :D

Cheers

2. Sounds like you work for GL...............hows about a freebie?

3. It is a really stupid idea... but I like it.

I have a custom built loooper with blue LEDs which i modded myself as i forgot to ask for a battery clip to be included in the design brief. Thats 4 points already :bassist: (if self mods are aloud??)

I have a huge reel of GL's cable and a billion end plugs but havent installed them yet (half a point).

Unless a bass whammy is old enough to be vintage which i dont think it is then i think I am done?

I can't get 6 points :bawl:

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Nah I wish I worked for a company where I could get some pedal gear.

I just think the criteria above is the main one, and if you search through the show your pedalboards thread all the top notch ones are GL wired

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You might get a point for people not being able to identify it as a bass whammy and saying ooooo I thought they were red.

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Have your board wired with GL's - check!
    Have a modded pedal - check!
    Have a pedal that most people can't identify - check!
    Have a loooper - check!
    Have something with a Blue LED (because blue led's sound better) - check! (well, does pink count aswell?)
    Have something you had custom built for you - check

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You gotta post a pic of the board as well, gotta prove it :p

Pink as cool as it is just isn't blue, so it's gotta be blue.

8. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Oh, well my new preamp has got a blue led, so that's no prob :D

Just waiting for the last 2 pedals (loooper and tube-bass preamp from gp-lightstone) to hit my board, should be here in a week or two, promise to post a picture in the "post your pedalboard" thread then :hyper:

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the latter! I don't care whether anyone else likes my board or not, as long as I think it's kick ass that's all that matters to me.

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Yeah, that's stupid... You're crazy !! :smug:

But I like this, too... :D

I have my GL's but not yet mounted. I modded lots of my pedals. I have a pedal built by myself for myself. This pedal can't be indentified by others... And I'm about to built myself a custom looper, with blue led... :p

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hmmm... I don't know if I agree with most of this. I'm a pedalwhore but I don't fit in a lot of the categories, but if we re-worked the specs that would be better. :cool:

Have your board wired with GL's: Livewires... but soon to be Planet Waves.
    Have a modded pedal:Well, i'm thinking about swapping out the 12AX7 tube in my Silver Dragon for an EL9.
    Have a pedal that most people can't identify: Silver Dragon probably... or my $8 phaser.
    Have a vintage (over 20 years old) pedal: Just my Vintage Marshall Guv'nor, but that's 10ish years old.
    Have a loooper: I thought about it, but I like my tone the way it is.
    Have an Analogman pedal (Because we all know these are just the shizniz): No.
    Have something with a Blue LED (because blue led's sound better): No blues, but my Whammy has like 139 LEDs and my Echo Park has 3 different colors, and the Silver Dragon has a green and a red.
    Have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2: I'm more of a 1Spot kind of guy.
    Have something you had custom built for you: My board.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A cookie will be worth more than a TBSOA.

13. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Maybe a sticky thread where people can post their "final pedalboard" and other TB'ers could rate them? Its wouldnt work if people treated it like the post your pedal board post, cos we dont need two of them but if people wanted to get other peoples opionions it might be worth it.

I dont think a TB Seal of Aproval would work cos we all have different idea's of what makes a good pedal board.

Unless we had a TaySe Seal of Aproval? :D

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Hmmm...
    TU2->Fulldrive 2->Punch Factory->DisCUMbobulator
    ->SAPBDDI->custom pedal board (my design, built by my cabinet-maker friend).

1 point. Damn! :scowl:

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Or I could just yay or nay everything.

Have your board wired with GL's - Waste of money. Learn to solder ;)
    Have a modded pedal - Why? Sometimes stock pedals do exactly what you want.
    Have a pedal that most people can't identify - Guaruntee most people on the streets can't identify a Big Muff...
    Have a vintage (over 20 years old) pedal - Why? Modern pedals are just as good, if not better most of the time.
    Have a loooper - or get pedals that don't suck ;)
    Have an Analogman pedal (Because we all know these are just the shizniz) - You work for Mike don't you?
    Have something with a Blue LED (because blue led's sound better) - You're right, that is pretty cool.
    Have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 - VL endorsee?
    Have something you had custom built for you - Off the shelf stuff works for me!

Seriously though, the SOA ain't a bad idea, but some of your ideas are WAY too exact. I think davidmwilson BARELY gets the SOA...

16. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    As TpLyons is the moderator of this little area, why don't we let him just administer them? Good enough guy. Serious muff enthusiast. Got things goin' for him, eh?

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think this started out as a joke and just got taken way way too seriously...

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Get back to work Toast!

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Mine were just suggestions I don't meet the SOA, it was just a for fun thread.

The suggestions were for things we often joke about, there are massive threads about chaning the RBI to a blue LED because it looks cooler and same goes for pedals, if you have a blue LED on your board its a little bit cooler than when you didn't, does it serve a purpose - No, does it sound better - No, is it more fun to look at - Yes.

Go over to forums where guitar players show there boards and there is almost a set template for them, Voodoo Labs PP2, George L's, a few vintage pedals, few pedal you can't name and so on so I just took ideas from what I had seen. Again they were SUGGESTIONS.

But what ever

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You too, get back to work. Millions of people on the dole depend on you.