Should We Hire a Hitman for White Stripes???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Mar 21, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I own recordings without any bass clef in the music, and I enjoy them. So, my ears aren't totally "bass-biased."

But considering the neo-punk/emo idiom where White Stripes operates, do you sense something critical is missing from their sound???

I guess a two-piece costs less to book/record, (or maybe they each get a bigger share of the checks).

At first, it had kind of "quaint" appeal to me. But on repeated listenings, do you find it's like a sandwich that's only two pieces of bread???
  2. I think that the bassless setup actually works for them. Their goal is to be as abrasive as possible, so by not giving the listener any bass to "cling" to, they leave nothing to focus on but the abrasiveness of their voices.
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I don't wanna hire a hitman for anyone
    Flad likes this.
  4. rickbass

You're a bass player....lighten up fer chrissakes!!!
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree. Though for legal purposes let me state the following: "hiring a hit man is wrong."
  6. I'm not a big fan of the White Stripes, they sort of get on my nerve....but, I guess a lot of people could say that for the music I like.

Maybe not a hitman, but twice as damaging and much more putting salt in their milk, or making them have to play the entire catalogue of the Ronnettes a in poddle skirts. (nothing against the Ronnettes, just chose a random band out of my head)
  7. if you did, you'd have to whack Sleater-Kinney as well, and you'd do that over my dead body, mister.
  8. yeah, I'd hire a hitman- in the UK they're the most over-hyped thing ever- "The future of rock" etc.

if that means rock will all be as sloppy as them then I'm not for "progressing" with them, thanks.

At first, it had kind of "quaint" appeal to me. But on repeated listenings, do you find it's like a sandwich that's only two pieces of bread???

hmm, after repeated listenings I find they're like a sandwich with no filling or any bread either:p

the emperor's new clothes.

all IMHO, of course;)
  9. There are way to many bands that are being haled as "Future of rock"......kinda makes me wonder what kind of future rock has.....*sigh* It looks like the days of Arena rock are long over. Ahhh well, clubs are cooler anyway.
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    ... and John Spencer Blues Explosion... (which i happen to like)
  11. rickbass

Mock - That's the buzz I get over here - their 7" EP's are said to be getting a strong push all over England.
    Maybe that's their best shot. From US perspective, it seems like the British charts have historically rewarded quirky bands, (usually European), for about 48 hours that never break the US charts. Then they return to oblivion.

I agree - it's big league the point where I think they must be doing it by design.

After repeated listenings of Stripes' tunes, I want to do something ghastly to a bass drum.
  12. Having a bass in there would ruin the songs. It's just delta blues as played by indie rockers. Leave em alone, they're just having fun... ;)
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree entirely - saw them on a couple of music TV shows and I haven't heard/seen drumming that bad in a long time. I think that person is given female drummers a bad name! :rolleyes:

One of the worst things I have ever seen on TV - made more annoying by the fact that they seem to think wearing all red, somehow makes them cool - like we shoud care! :mad:
  14. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    They were on Jools Holland's show a little while ago.......they are Bad (but i guess they right their own songs)

Anyways, i think people like them cos they're kinda "arty" like they're so bad it's good!!so i guess they were filling the "arty" spot on the show as there is usually one strange artist

I'm not sure if it was the same show, but Richard Bona played and was just amazing!!

I reckon that would've shown a lot of people what a "real" musician is and can do :D

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´ve only heard one song, Hotel Yorba, but I like it.:)
    I think it´s kinda funny..
  16. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    If you want to know what they'd sound like with a bass player, listen to The Strokes.

While we're talking of such bands, anyone else here like The Hives? I've only heard their two singles so far, but IMO they blow the likes of White Stripes and The Strokes out of the water. And their bass player gets a cool chunky sound out of his Rickenbacker on "Told You So".
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It really matters very little how good bands like White Stripes, the Strokes, Mooney Suzuki, etc. are the critics are loving it because they represent a big uplifted middle finger to corporate pop music. Although maybe they will become the next corporate pop music :rolleyes:

As far as Arena rock, good riddance. The whole idea of three or four guys playing to an audience who can't see them without gigantic video screens just aint right...not to mention I have yet to go a huge rock show where you could really hear anything very well :confused:

I'm old and gray enough to have lived through a number of rock revivals (not to mention blues revivals, C&W revivals)...sounds like boy bands, rap metal and Britney have paved the way for another. Whether it's stillborn or not depends on how many people pick up guitars after hearing the Strokes (BTW, I have yet to hear these guys...with all the hype I'm almost afraid to) :eek:
  18. I'm not a fan of this new indie rock seems like these bands are just TRYING to sound bad. Although I dig the title track off the Stroke's album. :D
  19. re. White Stripes on that Jools Holland show- another thing was the use of flashy camerawork- the camera flying over them- why? as if to highlight something that isn't there- their appearance on Top Of The Pops was similar- a whole stage spotlighting them with a camera flying in.
    I think the proof was in the pudding on the TOTP show- they got a lukewarm response from a bemused audience.
    I can't believe the White Stripes get to play large venues like The Astoria- to me it smacks of the pretension of bricks being exhibited in the Tate Gallery as great works of art.

as for the notion of them being some great statement against corporate rock- haven't they signed a million dollar record deal?
    and their videos seem pretty slickly produced.

re. The Strokes, I'm dubious of their "underground" credentials- singer Julian Casablancas is the son of the millionaire boss of Elite Models, John Casablancas.
    they're definitely far better musicians than the White Stripes, though.
    I'd rather listen to them than WS.
    but I'm totally sick to death of hearing "last nite" played over and over again on XFM- arrghh- can't they play some other tracks off the album instead....

The Hives- I thought they were the only good thing on that Jools Holland show in question (Richard Bona may be a technically impressive bass player, but I didn't really think much of the song he was playing).
    but The Hives are VERY influenced by The Stooges- compare their "Main offender" with The Stooges "search and destroy".
    I don't think much of the lyrics, but I love their image (suits and snappy stage moves reminiscent of Wilco Johnson, sometime guitarist with Dr. Feelgood and Ian Dury & the Blockheads), and they seem to have a sense of humour too.

on "I told you so" the bass player(who looks remarkably like one of the Super Mario brothers:D) 's using a Rick in the video, but was using a P bass on Later- I'd dare to guess it's a P bass on the record too.
  20. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I thought I was the only one who saw that!

really? I've never heard that sound come out of a P, he must have some unorthodox pickups for a P-bass, it sounds nothing like the punchy SD tone you hear in a lot of Precisions.