1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should we play without our singer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dreadheadbass, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    evening all
    well it finally happened at our last gig our singer kicked off half an hour before we were due to go on the left the band straight after
    although its no major setback (we felt we needed a new singer anyway) and were holding auditions to find a new singer as i type!! we do have a gig coming up in 2 weeks
    one school of thought is to cancel the gig another is to play it
    with no singer there's a strong chance we'll mess up changes and certain fills etc but at the same time we dont wanna give our ex singer the satisfaction of cancelling a gig just because he left

any thoughts?

2. I say, change the style of gig. Make it more of an interactive experience for the crowd. I've been listening to Brick House so I'm in a funky/relaxed mood today. Perhaps just keep things mellow and light, and maybe you and the guitarist can pick up the slack and sing (or maybe just say the words). It won't be pretty, but if you keep the atmosphere relaxed and fun, maybe the crowd won't mind too much.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Kicked off? As in dead? Or just flaked? Anyway, I'd sure let it be known far and wide that he/she quit without fulfilling a commitment.

If you've got enough songs to do without the singer, what the heck. Play the gig.

4. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    its not a big gig so i think your right we'll just rock out big time and get the crowd entertained as much as possible if we keep it friendly i'm sure they wont mind the odd mistake and its a big "up yours" to out ex singer too

i aint gonna be doing any singing though last time i tried backing vocals it sounded like flipper being fisted!!

5. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    dead?... no sadly he's still stealing air from normal hard working people
    he tried to take controll of the band "i'm the singer so ultimatly i get the final say" was one of his most well used lines and he just became to much hard work typical egotistical stereotypical singer syndrome:rollno:

we have enough songs (infact were dropping 2 because were only on for half an hour)
    n you two guys are both right were gonna go out on stage and have some fun without him!!:bassist:

6. Depending on the gig, people might give you extra tips to hear that :rolleyes:

7. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Just ask around - someone will fill in. If our singer quit (not that he's going to - he's rock solid), there are at least three numbers on my phone that would be there in a second. Some of them are in other bands, some not, but they'd all help us out in a second.

Do the gig if at all possible, but without a singer it will be tough.

Ian

8. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    Velvet revolver play gigs without a singer so why can't you.

Between the other members of the band someone must be able to do a half decent job of singing.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    we need details of the gig....

i doubt it will really matter in the grand scheme of things if 1 guy or the whole band doesn't show up....just go play and have fun

10. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    I say it depends on the band and the gig. If the band can pull it off and put on a show then by all means.

We had a gig scheduled and the Singers best friend was in the hospital with Cancer (she passed 2 days later). Needless to say our singer was with her friend that evening (where she should have been).

Since we knew about 200 of our closest friends would be there we decided that canceling was not an option. We were a funk/electronic/jam band so just changed some arangements. We had our horn players play the vocal melodies, other singers sit in for some covers, other musician friends come out and sit in. After the first song we announced why our singer was not there and that we were playing for her friend that evening. The crowd was exceptionally supportive and it turned out to be one of the more rewarding shows we played.

We then followed it up with a benefit for her friend at the same club 2 months later.

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    all i know is, if i'm going out & spending hard earned cash to see a band,, there better be some vocals up there doing their thing to entertain me,, especially if you're doing covers.

12. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    meh, we played one of our first gigs before we had a real singer. my gui**** thought he could sing :confused: (is there anything they can't do?) so we let him try. much to my dismay, folks in the crowd had great things to say all round (helps that we buried the vocals in the mix). that led to him trying to record vocals on some demo stuff.....thankfully, hearing himself back (monotone, and not a good tone) cured that fantasy.

lesson? if we got away with that, i'm pretty sure any one can sing lead for at least one night!!

13. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    So, can anybody else in the band do a reasonable facsimile of this guy who left. I mean was he Enrico Caruso or something? If not, I'm sure you can get by...:bassist:

14. I'd rather cancel a gig than to not sound up to par.

It just depends how credible you'll sound without your lead singer.

us? We couldn't play if we were missing any of our pieces, especially our singer. Hard to imagine any of us trying to do what he does and still sound like people are used to hearing us sound like