Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should we separate forums into sub-forums?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Marlat, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I guess the title says it all (well not literally), but the point of this thread is for people to discuss and to offer thoughts on whether the main forums should be further separated into sub-forums.

It appears as if there is going to be separate forums for Extended Range Basses (ERB's to you noobs!) and Electric Upright Basses (EUBS). There is already separate forums in the Lounge for pollitical threads and non-pollitcal threads.

Whenever I think about separate sub-forums for "classes" of bass player, my mind immediately looks up to the top right hand corner and see's "Uniting the Low End Since 1998", and imagines a footnote saying "unless you play an ERB or EUB" :D

But seriously, what do people think? It appears that the main reason these sub-forums are being created is so that their users can discuss things without fear of criticism or negative oppinions. But then, why not have a separate Wishbass of Dave Pushic forum, which get bashed far more than ERB's or EUBs. Likewise, why not have separate forums in Amps for Tube Amps and Solid State Amps? or in Off-topic for Teen Chat (or something similar).

Segragation of bass players, a good thing or a bad thing?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    No, TB has enough forums as is.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I think it's a good idea, cos it's really not seperating them, it's more or less organizing them. We could carry it farther and seperate 4, 5 and 6+, then EUBs. Now I'm thinking a lot about it, got some nifty ideas...

Ray

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think it could help people interested in those things get more healpful information without getting hassled.

I do thing it would be even better if we just made sure no one acted like a jerk though.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think it might be useful to a degree. I'd love to see a forum for pa/live sound reinforecment. Also, it might be cool to have forums like basses and amps be subdivided into one for questions about how to use the stuff vs raving about a particular bass, amp, or what have you. things are cool as they are, but in the future that might be an intelligent consideration, i dunno.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm just not sure how having separate forums actually helps this?

I mean if you can register and post a troll / spam / stupid comment in basses now, what makes it any harder to do it in the ERB forum? - Unelss of course there is some kind of "membership" requirement to the forum, but in that case (if thats what is being proposed), it reaks of elitism and "exclusion". Although, I doubt that is on the cards!

Ultimately, both are still moderated and rely on the moderator seeing the post or it being reported. I just can see how the "hassles" will be reduced...if anything, they could be increased because there is a specific forum dedicated to it (see the Tab forum!).

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think seperating them is going to help by making it more out of the way for people to troll.

If you troll ERB in the Basses forum, then there could be some reasons as to why you were even there in the first place. Maybe you thought the thread was about 4 string Conklins. You're still trolling and the mods should still give you what you have comming, but its not a huge deal.

If you troll ERB in the ERB forum, then there is no question about it. You came to troll, and they might as well feed you to JT's doubleneck.

The EUB thing is partly because some people want an EUB, but a lot of the upright guys dont understand that and will tell you to get a real bass instead of give you help. You ask about EUBs and instead get a bunch of guys filling your thread with useless dribble. You could avoid that by posting in Basses [BG] but then you wouldnt get any useful info about rosin.

By seperating it all I think the goal is that it will make it more of an inconvinience to troll, and to make it so that trolls have no excuse to hide behind when they do troll.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I vote whatever. I find it funny in a sad way theat people get so worked up about their labels.

"OHH NOESSS!!!11!! I read a post that didn't 100% pertain to my interests!!!

This is a very heavily moderated forum, and I think it works well as is. OTOH, if it helps the uptoght feel better, by all means, sub forum away!

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    +1

If the DBers would just be more helpful to and tolerant of people with EUB questions, then we wouldn't need to make another sub forum. (No offense to those DBers that do try to help).

Sub forums shouldn't be created to avoid people's conduct on the boards. Rather, those people should be handled by the moderators. That's part of their job.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No. Having Extended Range bassists seperate from 4 stringers would be bad. Then it would just lead to more criticism of each other, and one person thinking they are cooler than the next. Also, many people play both, and that would make it more annoying for them to have to switch forums.

Definitely NOT.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It would also be interesting to see if the demand is really there for a separate forum ie if it will actually attract a large number of posts from new users, or if it will just serve as a club for a number of regular members.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey...didn't you have another thread about this?

brad cook

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I surf and will continue to surf via "search.php?do=getnew"

I refuse to conceed to your segregations!!! We are one people and one player!

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Comedy Mark left and Serious Mark took over :)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How dare you delete a thread after I've posted in it.

Serious Mark sucks.

brad cook

16. +1

17. using my talkbass is a much better way of surfing imo

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Hey Serious Mark, who is that in your Avatar?

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In the most non-pollitical way possible, it is John Howard, the Prime Minister of Australia. I am not making a pollitical statement however..I just think its an amusing picture of a head of state! :)

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

My book mark is to http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew

it's how I've surfed TB since I joined.... it IS best for me. I hate the whole "Portal" thing. Just give me the list, newest first and I'm Golden!