Should you fill your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    With what???? Water? Cheerios? Confetti?

I like to fill MY amp with a tasty goodness . . .
  3. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I like to fill my amp with butter, makes my Yamaha sound a little more smooth.
  4. jbay

May 23, 2002
    :confused: As in a kick drum??
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    maybe that's what's wrong with mine- it's full and all the good notes fell out. ;)
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Now that made me laugh! :bassist:
  7. jbay

May 23, 2002
    haha good one :D
  8. life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    ok i'm sorry tere is a bunch oh idiots on this site, but i meant should you fill your cab with as much watts as possible. For example (this is for the slow people) one owns a 900 watt cabinet and say that person buys a 350 watt amplifier to play through it. Or (what i'm trying to get at) buy an amplifier that goes to or is around 900 watts? Now those out there that can tie their own shoes my answer this question....because that already have answered only have straps. Thanks in advance, unless your a Donkey, or a certain kind of penguin. :D
  9. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Instead of taking the time to insult everyone, spend it making your question clear and your spelling correct. You'll get better advice and you won't leave yourself open to ridicule.
  10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    :spit: :mad: :spit: :mad:
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

12. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wow, I wouldn't go around saying things like that. Some of the people who responded on this thread are some of the most respected and knowledgable of this site, and by making such a broad assumption of the competence of the members of this site I would reckon that you won't get too much help from anyone. By the way, they were joking, lighten up a bit and everything will be alright. Next time make your question more clear and you won't get people joking around as much.
    Everything is gravey
  13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh geeze...this started off as one of the funniest threads I can remember reading on TB.

Edit: To answer your question, it's all about the sound you're after. When I'm using a solid state amp, I like to have some extra power to spare. Your cab's rating is kind of a safety guideline. It can handle more, but may not always be that wise to push more. Therefore, with a solid state amp, I like to use an amp that will deliver, say, 500 watts at 4ohm, when the cab is rated at 350 or 400 and is 4ohm. On the other hand, I like to drive a tube amp to get some of that natural compression. I run 300 watt 8ohm cabs on either side of my amp, which delivers (appx) 200 watts per side.
    Hope that was sort of what you were looking for. Everyone is going to be different, of course, and I suggest you find what your ears like best, and calm down! :rolleyes:
  14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Hey, is there a MOD in the house? We could use a shovel over here.....

STOP responding to this thread peeps, play bass instead.
  15. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Idiots? I only count one ;)
  16. man, this forum is full of people who have tons of experience and its probably the best forum to get advice from well informed members... considering the fact that nobody knew what you were talking about, id say the problem is yours
  17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love it when the kid who can't spell/use grammar calls others idiots...
  18. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, gotta love it.....considering the guy's full explanation, he even got his own question wrong.

Perhaps he meant "Should You Fill Your Speaker Cabinet"?
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Please allow me to be the first to nominate you for King of Idiots!

All those in favor say aye.

Anyway, to answer your question, I fill all my amps with insulating foam from a spray can. It eliminates spurious resonances, and corrals stray electrons. Works bitchen.