Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should you fill your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Apr 7, 2004.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    I mean, should put in as many watts as possible in to the amp? Or should you buy an amp that that is less then what it can handle? Your Opinions please... :help:

2. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    I meant "as many watts into the Cab" not the amp

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are numerous threads discussing this matter. The general idea is to put more power into your cabs. You can double the wattage with no problem as long as you watch the volume level.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Here is a general rule of thumb:

Start with the cabinet's continuous average (or RMS) power rating. Multiply that by 2.

Or start with its program power rating. Don't multiply it.

This figure, combined with the cabinet's impedance, is your target for amp power, give or take maybe 20% or so.

This way, if you avoid clipping the amp, you'll have power to handle peaks cleanly but the average power will be within the limits of what the loudspeakers can handle.

Again, this is just a general rule of thumb. It may result in your having a more powerful amp than you actually need--for example, if you just happen to have a lot of speaker cabinet to drive--but that is at least better than not having enough.

If you tend to run your amp into clipping a lot, you'll need a more powerful amp (unless you like the sound of clipping) and almost certainly speakers that can handle more power as well.