Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should you judge a cabinet in a small room?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    My band practices in a small bedroom. I don't understand all the physics involved with sound, but if you're going to try to judge a cabinet, is doing so in a small room a bad idea? Hope this doesn't sound too stupid.

Skel

2. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    TO truly judge you should use many rooms, many amps, and a few basses, then yo can really judge a cab.
    I would at least go big room , small room, and both with and with out you rband

3. A HUGE +1 to that.

4. PLUS 2

5. And 3.:)

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Easier said than done, though. How many have actually done this before purchasing a cab?

Skel

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    touche...

but it goes without saying that realworld use is the best way. its all about what sounds best in your situation, no? thankfully, most stores, retail outfits, etc. offer an evaluation period, so you can try it on gig, or even in that bedroom.

8. +1... it's more of 'should I keep it or not' than initial purchase. I don't think I've been able to even try a cab at all prior to purchase for the last 5 years or so, since the gear I tend to purchase has virtually no distribution in stores, etc. Luckily, gear like that keeps its resale value for the most part, so it doesn't cost that much to play it for a month or two and dump it if it's really not for you.

However, both in evaluating a piece of gear to decide if 'it's for you or not' and in posting reviews on sites like this, it's important to hear and play the cab in many different situations to get an accurate picture of what it sounds like. It's simply amazing to me how different cabs can sound with different amps, different rooms, different types of gigs, volume level, etc., etc.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, and I think I'm on record as saying I would lug anything around, no matter what the size or weight, if it sounded good. After moving my SVT-610HLF into my drummer's basement last night - just once....forget what I said.

Skel

10. :D

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Comments are welcome and needed on this; I'm sure many cabinets, especially the big ones, are intended to be loud, and I'm finding these cabs are the tricky ones. If you're in a band who likes to run everything through the PA, playing small or medium sized venues, *I*, at least, have to start wondering why I have such a big cab, but even if I like it, for whatever reason, I wonder if the designer would tell me I'm ignorant if I'm judging the cab from standing right next to it, and the only way to judge it is to stand at least 15 feet away, because it was intended to project out so the audience can hear it at its best, not me. And I wonder if you can't have it both ways...you can have an "up close" cab or a "not up close" cab.

Skel

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I remember so crazy NtB idea about the waves of his amp being larger than the room he was playing, which resulted (according to dad) in a crappy sound.

Those were the days :)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw,

you should try a cab at all volumes. being played at store volumes isnt gonna tell you much.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have found that the only thing that's going to tell me what matters is to try the amp or cab at rehearsal. If it passes that test, try it at a few gigs. If it passes both of those tests, it passes. Forget about the store - it's the playing all week in your own house, convinced it sounds great - then you get it to rehearsal and everything you thought is just out the window.

Skel

15. A frustrating, big, 'been there and done that' +1:meh:

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree with what's been said. My own angle would be that the key is not so much to hear the cab in a huge variety of spaces as it is to hear the cab in the specific contexts you're likely to use it in. This does not necessarily mean all possible environments. If you're never going to play a stadium, it doesn't matter what the cab sounds like on a huge outdoor stage. If you never play small spaces, it doesn't matter what it sounds like in a little room. If you only ever play in a studio, it doesn't matter what it sounds like out on a gig. And so forth.

17. +1 one...a more accurate reflection of what I was attempting so say:)

18. Never claimed I didn't purchase them... did 90%. Lots of buys and sells. However, I have tried some cabs on trial but I didn't get to lug to them to every type of venue to make sure.