Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should you sell your Soul???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JJsBassbeatblue, May 12, 2004.

1. Ok, well I used to play in a blues/rock band with the guys who I learnt to play bass with. I’m a lot better that I used to be and have more experience than I wish to have. After having a very bad experience with a punk band for one gig as a favour (I learnt the set in 45 mins and the drummer was s**t :spit: ) I’ve been put of playing anything that I don’t love listening to. My best mate and I have both gone of to Uni. He has since joined a hard rock band and abandoned any hope of having a blues band. Should I sell my soul and do the same?? :help: Has anyone else given up playing the music they love to get gigs?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    In my opinion, playing music is about enjoying yourself. having fun and playing what you like, man, that's about the best thing you could do.

If you just wanna play gigs and jump around in front of people, I would imagine that it's entirely possible that you'll have to make some concessions — one of which might be that you don't get to play what you love playing just so you can get the job.

3. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yes, I agree.

Play what you want to play, and you'll eventually find a way to make money and play what you love

4. "Concessions," a nice way of saying "whoring yourself out." Yeah, you have to, but that's what life is about all around, a compromise of what you want and what you'll take. If you're doing a cover band, you can do all the cool obscure covers you want, but don't expect a lot of people to be out on the dance floor. You may be having a blast, but the people want to hear songs they know. Playing the classic rock cover band is fun, until it's time for "Mony Mony" or "Old Time Rock and Roll..." but you gotta... :meh:

5. do what you want. if you love blues at heart but are in a hardrock band, your playing will probly not be as great will not be as fun and you wont really feel like your in the right spot. unless the music grows on you. I know the more you listen to one style the more you appreciate it. if you go and join a hard rock band a light might turn on in your head and youll say wow i should have done this in the first place or you might say well this isnt for me, ill start a band of my own.

in the end its all up to you, if you enjoy playing blues more than any other style i say go with it and stick with it.

6. Just because your in a band making money with Music you don't like doesn't mean you can't also be in one that playes the stuff you do like.

I get the best of both worlds, my cover band sets are about 1/3 blues tunes, mostly because my guitar player is obsecesed withwith Peter Green

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's more a question of degree, I think. If you're a jazz guy, say, but you're playing in death metal bands (and you HATE death metal) just for the sake of making money playing, that's whoring yourself out.

If you just don't really like death metal that much, but you're playing it while you're trying to get your jazz group together... that's different, and is what I'm calling "making some concessions".

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't have to. I love music in so many forms, it's hard NOT to find a band I'm interested, genre wise. Indie, punk, death metal, hard rock, blues, things with the "post" and "core" pre and suffixes...

If it's good, I'm down. I never have to sell out.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sure...and I've been a bassist for decades.

In the early days, when I was "young and handsome", I only played what I liked (original punk at that time) and it paid off well.

But as I got older, I realized that if I was going to continue to do this professionally, I had to hook up with bands who could provide me with a steady, dependable, income. I always wanted to play Motown/hardcore dance music but I had to pay my dues by playing in bands that were playing solid 12-bar blues to the point of nausea if I was to establish my name as a solid player among the older guys who played for a living.

So, pay your dues, learn to enjoy it, and consider it just one more leg on the journey to where you, ultimately, want to be.
    Hell, I've even played in rave band, boring as that seems, just because the money is too good to pass up. I always found something about them that was enjoyable/interesting to play.

In the end, you take all those influences and incorporate them into your style and you end up being a better, more versatile, more employable. musician for it.

Caveat - Although there's a lot of opportunity and good money in it here in the US Midwest, I still refuse to play C&W or bluegrass. I find no appeal in that music or that scene.........everyone has their standards.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've never been so happy playing music, since I "sold out," "sold my soul" -- whatever. There were simply zero appealing opportunities I found in almost two years of searching. So I bit the bullet and took the country band plunge. Best move I've made in years. Now I play regular gigs with good folks, to appreciative audiences, for 'okay' money... and I can sit at home on off nights and record all the slap wankage I want, and otherwise follow my pathetic little muse, with my Garage Band software. Life is good.

:)

11. It's not easy to find a band that plays exactly what YOU want to play. It's a mix of different influences, styles, etc. But you have to enjoy what you're doing. You may not enjoy playing in a hard rock band as much as playing in a blues band, but as long as it's fun and rewarding for you, go for it. You can look for a blues band in the meantime and try to get something started, but if you can enjoy playing with a rock band go for it. It may be very good for you in terms of musician connections and whatnot.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    What's wrong with whorin'? Id play Symbionese Polka waltzes as long as I get to play more than once a month! [​IMG]

13. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Being polite, courteous, accommidating, building consensus, compromising, seeking common ground, kissing ass, going along to get along, going with the flow, moderating your emotions / opinions, don't say anything if you can't say something nice and systematically pushing your principles aside to acheive all of the above is what day jobs are for.

Music is about passion.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ...I'm just tired of being passonate by myself![​IMG][​IMG]

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, but only at a 15% markup. You'll never get to buy it back again at cost. So be careful.
    :help: :bassist: :help:

16. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    What I said.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow. Man, I don't think I'll ever get tired of that. :D

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ....blisters.....[​IMG]

19. Ummm...this thread went downhill in a hurry! :D

Sure...play all the things that YOU wanna play......
    and then pack up, go to rehearsal, and play what the band is playing. :p

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont recomend selling your soul, it is not a good thing. :)