1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shoulder arm problems - lighweight alternatives

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audiotom, Apr 14, 2006.

1. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    My bass instructor is having major upper arm and shoulder problems so upright and heavy basses are problematic

he is borrowing a Parker Fly to try out

any other basses you'd recommend - light weight and not too hard on the shoulder and arm

thanks

Tom

2. Ibanez

I have a Ibby 500 for that exact reason (shoulder issue) & I use it to teach most of my beginner lessons (I strap on my Zon or Stingray for my more advance students). Parker Flys are nice, but are funny looking and are tres expensive. The nicer Ibbys sounds pretty good too, barts in them and everything. You really can't beat the Ibanez for light weight love.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've played really light basses from Zon and MTD, and there are some crazy light lakland USA and sadowsky NYC basses floating around as well.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Try a Sadowsky. All mine are less than 8.5lbs
    Two are under 8lbs and sound amazing

Rob

5. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I'm with Rob. New York Sadowskys are generally all chambered now. Both of mine are noticeably lighter than my guitar player's (original) '75 Strat.

6. aftershock

aftershock

Apr 26, 2005
    Timmy C. from Audioslave has a shoulder problem from a mounting bike accident and uses realy wide straps. Maybe something like that would help distribute the weight of the bass better and be a lot less painfull. Hope this helps.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  8. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I've found that, if you're having shoulder problems, even the most lightweight bass can be a problem after a few hours of playing. There's an alternative strap system called the Bass Brace (www.bassbrace.com) which places 90% of the instrument's weight on the hips. This means you can choose whichever bass best suits your style without regard to how much it weighs. The only downside is that it requires installing an extra strap button on the underside of the bass, which potentially reduces the resale value.

I've tried all the other strap systems out there (Strapture, etc.) and haven't been happy with any of them. I have a Bass Brace now but I'm still trying to decide which bass to install it on so I can't report on my experience yet, but it looks promising. Same principle as using a waist strap with a backpack.

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Most are, but keep in mind some Ibanezs' like the BTB series are necessarily light (but not excriatingly heavy either).

10. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    +1 Both of my Sadowsky PJ5's are under 9 lbs. (8.5 and 8.7)

12. Right. The SRs are the lightweight basses I was referring to...

13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Depends on what you consider light. My MTD is pretty light, probably just under 9 pounds. How many strings is he looking for?

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky NYC , Hofner.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I switched to Sadowsky for many reasons, and weight and back problems were 2 of them. Glad I did!

16. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I switched from a very nice but very heavy P bass to an early Ibanez SR800, now I've moved to Reverend's and am staying put.

17. markman

markman

Dec 19, 2003
    ILL.
    I have a Dean Razor bass that has an ash body and a maple neck. It weighs in under 7 lbs. and isn't neck heavy at all. It balances very nice. It's in the for sale section right now.

Attached Files:

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I've had good experiences with Neotech straps. They're made of neoprene and have just a little give in them. Not so much that the instrument bounces around at all, but enough so that a lot of the weight impact is dissipated, especially when moving around.

I used to have nerve compression issues that would bug me for a day or two after each 3 set gig, and this product eliminated the issue. I'm not affiliated with the company at all - the product just works for me.

19. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Uh.. Danelectro basses? All of theirs are either semi-hollow or otherwise built of super-light materials.