Shoulder/back clicked now pain has gone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NML1986, Jun 1, 2012.

1. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    I've had real bad back pain just below my right shoulder for the last few days now, but just a minute ago when I went to get up from the sofa, something clicked and the pain has gone, seems really odd. :confused:

Has anyone else experienced this, what could it have been?
    I though I had pulled a muscle?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It sounds like you might have had pressure on your sciatic nerve.
    Perhaps when that something clicked you managed to "unpinch" it. Consider yourself lucky, and hopefully you remain pain-free.

3. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wasn't aware the sciatic nerve had anything to do with your shoulder?? It begins in the lower back and runs through the buttock and down the lower limb.

4. Sometimes things get stuck/unstuck on their own...

Hard to say what it could have been, just be happy it's gone.

IMO regular stretching really helps with most back/muscular pain.

5. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Ah no wait it's back, not as bad though.
    Dang.

6. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    I try to stretch, but it hurts like hell, I've been using deep heat spry on it, and taking pain killers, they work for a short time.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ah, youre right. Might not be the sciatic, but could be another pinched nerve.

8. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Just glad it's my right and not my left shoulder blade, or no bass for me. :bassist:

I'm sure it'll take care of it's self in time, not the first time it's happened, it's kind of expected in the job I'm in, manual work.

9. I've had some extreme (sometimes excruciating) pain in my left shoulder and down my left arm since the middle of January. I've had three sets of epidermal steroid injections right into my spine that didn't work, and Vicoden for pain.

I am now scheduled for neck surgery June 13; I hope it works. I'm real limited to what I can do at the moment including bass playing.

10. IME ice has always worked better than heat!
    It is not as nice when you apply it but will actually numb things up and speed up recovery quite a bit.

Might be worth giving it a try.

Also, deep heat spray is pretty useless, this thing works wonders. Loads of people in MMA use it.
    My coach recommended it to me and i have been using it regularly, really helps me.

http://cryogel.tv/

11. I find the opposite, heat works better on sore muscles for me, helps let things loosen off. Ice for when something goes worse and there's much more swelling!

Deep heat/freeze are only good at confusing the nerves and reducing the pain that way, they don't have any impact on what is causing the problem in the first place!

OP, probably just something working back into place, I get chest (and general rib/upper back pains) which just need a twist or a push to flunk things right! If only the lower back was that simple!

And whoever commented about stretching hurting, unless you have an underlying condition, its probably over stretching that is doing it.

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Something similar happened to me before. One time my back was really hurting, and someone told me I should lay down on a hard surface, I lay down on the floor, after about 5 or 10 minutes, I felt something click (more like a "pop" actually) in my lower back, like a vertebrae slipping back into place, and the pain was gone.

13. the click is nitrogen being created in the joint when you hyper extend it.....it pads out the joint around 15% then disperses in about 30 minutes....it feels good when it happens but is only temp

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    One big question a lot of people have when they're nursing sore muscles is whether to use heat or ice. Experts say indirect ice -- an ice pack wrapped in a thin towel -- is best for immediate relief. "Heat will feel good while it's on, but it's not going to lessen the damage or make it go away anytime soon," Frese says. Goldfarb recommends icing the sore area right after the activity to reduce inflammation, then using heat later to increase blood flow to the area. Heat also can help relieve joint pain.

From: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/art-sore-muscles-joint-pain?page=2

15. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    That don't sound good, hope the surgery goes well. :)

16. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    A good long warm soak in the tub seems to be working for a bit.

I think it's a repetitive strain injury, I'm always doing the same thing over and over at work.
    I'm sure it'll clear up soon, I've got a week off to recover anyway.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    If and when it comes back after returning to work, you'll have confirmation of RSI. Best to see your doc and examine your work "technique" required to do your job.

You may have a case for disability or maybe changing jobs within the company might be a possibility.

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's cute when you try to sound medical. ;):D

Most likely a combination of tension in the musculature surrounding a misaligned scapula / clavicle is choking off a region of the Brachial Plexus, most likely the Axillary nerve.

I'm no doctor, NOR did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night, I just have an awesome Chiro.

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    It was a misaligned vertebra, most likely. Did you have a sore spot just below your shoulder blade? If it happens again, have someone feel around for a small lump in the region- it's usually called a 'knot' and if it's massaged, sometimes the problem will go away with the knot after a bit of spinal rotation and careful movement. I have had this same thing in a few areas of my back, usually the lower and near my shoulder blade, like yours. I can feel a definite lump and if I massage it, the tightness goes away and when I lay on my back, then rotate my hips, it clicks and the pain is gone. I always make sure to pop it by rotating to both sides, though. If I only get it to pop in one direction, I know it will hurt until I get it in the other direction, so I don't pop my back very often. I usually stretch it and make sure my back/abdominal muscles are fairly well toned, instead. Sometimes, I can't avoid it, though. Last time I had the knot in the left side, about the same area as yours, I had just started going to a health club and they had a masseuse come in for free massages. She worked on it for a while and took care of it.

I have found that if I am working out, I have far fewer issues with spinal alignment and much less pain. I have never been to a chiropractor and the people I know who have, usually say the chiro tells them to come back almost endlessly.

When you drive, do you have a wallet in your back pocket? That tilts the hips and can cause problems, too.

20. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Thanks for the info, can't say I can feel a lump, I can only just reach the area, I don't have anyone to have a feel for me atm.

I do keep a thick wallet in my back pocket when I'm out of the house, I don't drive atm, but when I did I had my wallet in my back pocket.

I think it has something to do with work, my back is bent to the left and my right arm is up in the air, if you can imagine how that looks?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021