1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Shoulder Jam

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, May 28, 2016.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    In the spirit of sharing, and for the benefit of anyone here who's never heard my stuff but might like to, I thought I'd start to post a few recordings from my SoundCloud collection, i.e. all original material, consisting of collectively-composed songs, singer/songwriter demo tunes, plus at least one flat-out, 100% improvisation session.

The following is in that last category. This was recorded nearly 14 years ago in a NYC rehearsal studio, with three other players - guitarists Todd Amodeo and Bob Ross, and drummer George Batista. Todd named it "Shoulder Jam" (I know that has some kind of cultural or literary significance, but darned if I know what it is).

FYI, the groove really starts to get going in earnest by about the 9:43 mark. If I have any criticism of my own playing (and I usually do), it's that it took me so long to find the groove, and that I didn't focus more on staying in the pocket. Oh, well. Maybe that's why they call it 'just jamming'...

MM

Gibbsite17 likes this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Whoa, thanks for posting this...and for reminding me of the drummer's name! You ever hear from Todd since then?

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Bob, I'm going to move this dialogue to direct message mode, so as not to distract any unsuspecting passers-by who just wanted to listen to the jam. Expect to receive my ping shortly...

MM

4. Gibbsite17

Gibbsite17 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2014
    A lot of interesting music in there, Mystic Michael. Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you guys were having a great time. Would love to hear how your playing or musical tastes have changed or progressed over the years.

5. i like this quite a bit

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021