1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SHOULDER Pain!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Masters2010, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Masters2010

Masters2010

Jul 30, 2006
    Chepachet, RI
    So I've been trying to rush and get the Koussevitzky concerto ready for the preliminaries of the ISB competition which I just found out about, and I've been playing it solely lately, 3 hours or so a day. The last few days playing up past the octave G on the G-string has gotten really painful, especially when it's up to the F above that. I've played high stuff such as the Dragonetti before, but not for so much time each day. I'm not sure whether it's a technique issue causing this pain, or whether it's just too much practicing up there.

Moving on, I haven't even described the pain... In my left shoulder, feels dead and extremely tired until I shake it out. I didn't practice today other than my chamber rehearsal and sent an email to my teacher, but didn't get a response. I also tried raising the endpin up four notches to try and make playing up there much easier, and that seems to have helped, but I'm scared to practice more in fear of causing something bad to happen. Lastly, FYI, I'm playing on a stool.

Anyone have any ideas?

Patrick

2. Make sure you are not pushing your shoulder foward while you are playing. Your shoulders should be parallel with you torso. This is what causes most shoulder pain.

It sounds like you could be pushing your body too hard. Make sure to take plenty of breaks. Pain can be caused by not letting your body rest. It's like weightlifting. Your muscles need time to rest in between sets. This is especially true with the double stops at the end of the first movement of the Koussevitzky. That double stop section can where you down. Whenever your muscles start feeling tired rest for a few seconds or until you feel the blood flowing and your muscles relax again.

3. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    In addition to Cory's good advise, I suggest playing some excersises in thumb position where you are just trying to get a strong pure sound, not just the Kouss style all out romantic string vibrato. Focus on your posture and on using weight, not all muscles, to hold down the strings. Just relax and focus on making a beautiful, pure sound then you can go back to playing the Concerto with assurance of your posture & your intonation.