1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by michaelgilleran, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hey TB

Ive been playing a lot of the bach cello suites lately and after I hit the 2 hour mark or so in playing, I get really stiff pain through my left shoulder. I mention Ive been playing bach because it only happens while Im playing that particular music...

I have an unpadded leather strap about 2.5 inches wide, I wear it with the horn about at my nip, and its a pretty heavy bass.

Fix me! (lol)

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Some suggestions :

1. Get a wider padded strap.

2. During your two hours practice session, take a couple of five minute breaks and do some exercises like this one (the shoulders are featured at around the 1.03 minute mark) ;

Dahn Yoga: Shoulder Exercises For Shoulder Pain - YouTube

Also do the exercise before and after your session. There are other exercises if you do a search.

3. Make sure that you are not unconsciously tensing the shoulders. Sometimes when we are concentrating hard on what we are playing, we tense up without realising it.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    A wider strap is a good idea. I won't play with anything less than 3". Nor wider, because then it digs into my neck. Even in a classical concert setting you never play that long at a time. Take breaks. You might also want to rest your bass on your leg to relieve the weight. Some like to rest it on their left leg (right-handers) like classical guitar, and even use a foot rest. I prefer not to rest mine on my left leg because the bass neck is too long, IMO. But, whichever you choose, still take breaks. I played a solid, fast, fifteen minute blues thing the other night and had my shoulder hurting, sitting down with the bass on my right thigh. I took a good break after that.