Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shoulder problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Moxa13, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    :(

I have a six string ibanez, and I really enjoy playing it. The only problem is, that my left shoulder starts to hurt less than an hour after playing. I have toyed around with selling it, but I can't bring myself to do it. It is the nicest bass I have also. I think part of the problem. Is that I have to sleep on my shoulders. When I sleep on my back, it sounds like I am choking to death. Are their exercises I can use to help? Special type of straps? I did a search about this, and I saw some mentioning about special straps, that distribute the bass's weight better. I would really like to keep using it, but right now it just sits in the corcer and gathers dust.

Thanks!

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
  3. Something that will make you look less dorky is a 3+ inch wide SOFT leather strap. I think it's about distributing the weight over the largest possible area (ie, spread over different muscle groups and the clavicle as well as the shoulder blade and bone support.) and the soft leather stays in place a bit better- forms to your body parts (not sliding down to the end of the shoulder).

4. M-13

I bought one of thoses sliders straps from Musicians Friend. It did redistribute the weight off of my left shoulder but for me where the strap attaches to the bass, by the bridge....the strap was in the way of where I wanted to hold my arm to play.

I'll pass it on to you for 1/2 price ($10) plus shipping if you want to try it out and see if it helps you any.

I only used it for a couple of weeks before going back to a regular strap.

5. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    i use a shoulder belt cushion from the auto parts store
    it wraps around my strap and secures with velco
    $2

6. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    :) Thanks for the suggestions. I think that duble shoulder flying nun harness just looks to goofy for me. I am going to try the shoulder pad at the auto store. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

7. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    :) I ended borrowing a wide thick leather strap. It seems to help. I think am going to keep her. She is a good bass. I still have not made it to the auto store yet. Thanks for the help.