1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shoulder stiffness

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by gonzorob, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I sling my bass so that it is the same height standing as when I am sitting. Never had one problem with my fretting hand, but on my plucking side I get some "stiffness" in my shoulder, sometimes a little pinching in the elbow. I think it is because I have long arms and in order to have good form with my plucking hand I have move my shoulder back while I am playing.

I have tried lowering my bass but then i have issues with the fretting hand and end up tilting the bass like an upright to get down to business. I have always played with my thumb anchored and I know it may be because of that so i am working on floating.

Any other ideas? Am I just a wimp?

I just realized that I have never had any adverse effects from this other than a little discomfort while I play and a tired shoulder afterwards. My bands rehearsals can go into marathon mode and last 6 or 7 hours. The next day I am usually ok. maybe a little stiff.

2. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    Start going to the gym? A combo of pushups and rows should work that right out. Other than that, stretch and Tiger Balm.

3. I'm a wimp and lazy too!

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't slowly crippling myself.

I guess its time to get off my butt.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    A good idea might be to try doing light shoulder exercises before and after a practice or gig. The exercise would be to stand straight, slowly shrug your shoulders, then gently move them in a circular motion three times then relax. Repeat three or four times. Another that I find good is, again stand straight, clasp your hands behind your back, gently bring your arms ( always keeping them straight ) away from your body as far as is comfortable, hold there for three seconds and relax. Repeat two or three times.

Maybe your problem lies elsewhere, but these exercises might be worth a try.

5. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    I've recently adjusted my strap height so that my bass is at the same height sitting as standing as well, and I have been feeling sore in my shoulders as well.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a bit of soreness because the whole thing is being held up by my shoulders now instead of my arms as before, which the muscles in the shoulders aren't used to. I'm pretty confident it's not doing any long-term harm and that it should slowly recede as I get more used to it.

6. Sounds to me that you have too much tension on your plucking hand while you play. Learn to pluck from the knuckle joints and always relax your hand when you feel tension on it.

7. Its wierd that you say that because I have noticed on a few occasions that my hand does tend to tense up. Sometimes without me even noticing. Like if we are jamming and really getting into it, I will dig in and next thing I know I am getting the death grip. I've been making mental notes to relax.

Thanks!